Returned from Malta

Search

Returned from Malta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returned from Malta

We returned from Maltal after a 7 day trip. We also spent 2 days in London on the return flight to the US. We had a good time. This s what I would say about the trip:

1. This is not an island I would plan a family vacation. I do not think the children would enjoy themselves.

2. My husband and I fell in love withthe local people. They were all so very kind and helpful.

3. The bus system was very easy to learn. i would not take a taxis anywhere.

4. There was lots of history to explore.

5. The food was excellent.

6. I would NOT take te day trip to Sicily again. Of the 10-12 hours you are gone, it appeared you spent 6-7 hours in travel time (1-2 hours getting to Sicily, and about a total of 5 hours on a bus. When the bus did stop to tour an area, you only had one hour to look around a LARGE area)

7. Air Malta reminds me of Southwest Airlines with assigned seating.

8. The weather in Nov. was nice. Not too hot and not too cold.

9. Did I mention the food was excellent.

10. The club scene age range began at 14, but these young kids know how to have a good time. There was a night club on every coner.

11. I think this was a good choice to relax and have a good romantic time with my husband.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 04:43 AM

I have been thinking of a spring holiday in Malta. So how were the prices? For example a light lunch like omelette? A bottle of wine? A cup of coffee? Dinner for two?
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:07 PM

going to Malta later this year. would appreciate reading a more detailed trip report-where did you stay, dining recommendations, etc. From what I've read, everything is a 'must see'. Impressions of your visit to the Hypogeum, if visited. Did you travel independently or join up with organized half/full day tours?

Anything else you can offer would be appreciated. THANKS !
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:33 PM

We, too, had a great time in Malta in the summer of 2001, and I agree with everything you say, except for the comments about children. Our children were 9 and 7 at the time and really enjoyed themselves.
They were very impressed to be in the oldest free-standing structure built by humans (Ggantija), enjoyed walking around the medieval walled city of Mdina, had a great time snorkeling and playing on the beach.
Malta maybe wouldn't be the first overseas trip I took kids on, but they can have a great time there.
Annette
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:30 PM

I'm booked for Malta in April and would appreciate any restaurant recommendations. Staying in Sliema.

Also, did you do a trip to Gozo? On your own; with a tour? If you went, was one day enough or would you recommend an overnight.

Lots more details please!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Adrienne-where are you staying in Sliema? We're booked in May at the Kennedy Nova. What tour company are you using? We found a nice FIT package from Academic Tours out of NYC.

Hoping you'll post a trip report upon your return-there aren't too many posts about Malta, so appreciate everything that's out there !

Enjoy!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Adrienne, when we were in Malta (Sliema) last summer, we had a fantastic meal in a lovely little Italian restaurant called Trattoria d'Ico, recommended to us by a local. It's just off Manwel DiMech street. The prices were reasonable, the food was great, and the atmosphere was just perfect (romantic!). All other diners were Maltese.

We also had a nice meal at a fish/seafood place on Tower road in the Fort next to TGI Fridays (also Sliema). Can't remember the name but it's fairly obvious. Mix of tourists and Maltese people eating there. Very cool, pleasant interior.

On our last night we ate at Vino Veritas on the corner of Tower road and Sir Adrian Dingli street. There is a pretty terrace and the tables at the front of the restaurant are nice - if you reserve it's worth requesting to be seated here. Unfortunately we were sat in the back dining room - food was good but atmosphere was lacking somewhat.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Debs - I'm going with Grand Circle Travel and will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I think we're there until May 10. If we overlap do you want to get together? I'm going with another poster from this board.

What I liked about their tour to Malta is that you have lots of free time to explore on your own yet there are some group activities. Friends have taken trips with GCT and like the company very much.

I definitely plan to post a trip report upon return.

Hanl - thanks for the resto suggestions. They sound great. I love dining on a terrace.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Adrienne-sure would enjoy a Malta meet and greet, but you'd have to hang around for another 3 weeks or so-our trip is at the end of May. Look forward to your trip report and for all your wonderful recommendations. We're travelling independently, but are looking into taking some 1/2 day or full day excursions. For a small island, there appears to be more than enough to keep you busy. Also considering a day trip to Silicy, but that's still iffy. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I visited Malta on a Med cruise in '02 and thought the color of the Med water in that location was the most spectacular blue I have ever seen. I bought a piece of Mdina blown glass that has that gorgeous blue color in it, along with the sandy color of all the buildings on the island. (Mdina glass is a wonderful souvenir)
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Simpson - thanks for the Mdina glass recommendation. Did you buy it in Mdina or is the glass sold throughout the island. I am planning on going to Mdina but if you can suggest any good shops I'd love to know about them.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:44 PM

For the most fabulous clear waters, take a trip to Comino Island.
It can be done as part of a tour, but we just got a local bus to the closest point and then got on one of the several small boats waiting to take us over.
Haven't been for a few years but then, I think it was something like 7GBP each return.

Depends what time of year you go, but when it is extremely hot in the height of season, we always go as late as possible.
It can get quite crowded earlier in the day, but the few times we have gone we tried to get there around 3-4pm and we found most people were leaving by then so we could have a couple of hours in peace.
This would only appeal to people who like a lovely beach and crystal clear water (paradise to us!) as there is not much else on the island apart from a couple of hotels.
Depending on which side of the beach you get dropped off, the left side wouldn't suit anyone who had difficulty in walking, but has a bigger beach than the right side.

Another thing I would highly recommend in Malta is going to their 'Festa's' (birthday celebrations for the namesake of their local church Saint).
Worth getting in touch with their tourist board to find the dates of their religious celebrations.

I think we spent about 8 weeks in total in Malta over a couple of years, and the first thing we always did was visit the local small tour operator and book for every festa going!

The trips only cost about 4GBP (then), and it was great to get to see small towns that you normally wouldn't get to visit.

There is always a brass band leading the procession, and they always have their own bar en route and the drinks are dirt cheap!!
Don't think you can go far wrong in any of the local bars in these small towns though. We have had free food brought out to us in a lot of bars on these trips.
The fireworks and the way the churches are lit up for the celebrations are spectacular

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Angel_uk - thank so much for the festa info. I checked the Malta web site and find there are 2 festas plus 2 nights of fireworks in the grand harbor during my time there. Can't wait!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM

adrienne, I'm so glad you will be able to join in the festa celebrations!
I'm sure they will be a highlight of your trip and something to remember.

Don't forget you need to have your shoulders covered and a below the knee skirt or trousers to enter the church (although they don't seem to notice as much on these occasions when there are so many people around).

The churches are always filled with bouquets to the Saint from local people, and there seems to be some competition as to which family spends the most!

Try to find out what time the statue of the saint will be carried out of the church.

I always make sure I am waiting opposite the church at this time. It is a very moving experience to see the priests emerge from the church struggling to carry the enormous statue on their shoulders.

The crowd all burst into applause and sing 'happy birthday' (and the brass band plays) to the Saint and then follow the procession through the streets,stopping off at various bars,nougat stalls etc.

As I mentioned earlier, look out for the brass band's bar which is usually very close to the church.
Apart from the cheap drinks, there is usually access up the stairs to their (flat) roof to get a great view of the fireworks.

Have a great time
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM

Angel - more great info! Thanks so much, once again. I'm really looking forward to Malta!!

adrienne
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 12:47 AM

Our visit to the Hypogeum was a very interesting one, but remember you have to book in advance, since the number of visitors is heavily restricted.
For instance we just popped in on a Sunday and were told that we could get tickets for the following Sunday only...
Since we were staying two weeks in Malta, this was not a problem.

You can also book at the Hypogeum or the prehistorical museum in Valetta will also sell tickets.