Retirement Planning Trip: Whitehaven and surrounds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing I am enjoying about the thought of retirement is the planning. Its been a big excuse for additional trips to see where on the coast I want to settle with my wife. So far we have visited Kirkcudbright, Bootle, and now Whitehaven and district. Other places on our ‘must look at’ list are the Wirral, Silverdale and surrounds, and Anglesey – we may stretch it to include Skegness and the Lincolnshire coast.
We loved Kircudbright but its not the easiest place to get to and with grandchildren recently on the scene this is putting us off. Bootle which we liked the first time we saw somehow didn’t inspire us second time round, and so to Whitehaven.

On paper, this is an ideal place: its on the coast and adjacent the Lake District (we love walking).

We stayed two nights at the beautiful Hunday Manor Hotel. Set in its own lovely grounds it looks like something out of the ‘Hound of the Baskervilles’. The décor is sumptuous and no expense has been spared in making it a romantic place to stay. The rooms are wonderful and spacious and the bathroom is well equipped and consists of shower and bath.
Hunday is nearer Workington than Whitehaven, our target place which we heard is a nice place to live. The meals were very much okay, my wife enjoyed the meals more than me The breakfasts are fantastic although I had smoked finnan haddock on the first morning which was rather on the dry side and not helped by the coffee which was cold (I did complain in person about this). The breakfast on the second morning was faultless.
The bar is well stocked with local bottled ales. The staff are extremely friendly and you will find absolutely no fault here. Its definitely a place I would be glad to return to.
http://www.hunday-manor-hotel.co.uk/
The hotel is within walking distance of Oilys a restaurant catering for the people of Workington and surrounds out to celebrate a special occasion. No frills but they serve local fresh product cooked to perfection and it has a down to earth feel – what you see is what you get, and glad you are to get it.
http://www.oilyspub.co.uk/
So to Whitehaven, I’m afraid it brought out the snob in me and although it has a quite lovely harbour the rest of the place depressed me and it has fallen right off the "possible retirement list". Workington appeared even worse and we didn’t bother to stop there after driving through the town. Maryport was equally depressing – we went in a pub in the town centre and after the initial eyeball from the customers the pub across the road was recommended by the landlady as they served real ale there. That’s the first time I’ve been thrown out of a pub.
Now Cockermouth is a different story. Had this been on the coast, we would retire there tomorrow. Full of individual shops, lots of arts and crafts and the most friendly people. It has a great choice of Cafes and restaurants – I can’t praise the place enough, It has its own brewery (Jennings) and pubs galore ….. heaven.
http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/age...2fDefault.aspx
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
is Cornwall too far to contemplate? you might turn your nose up at Newquay [don't worry, we all do that too] but there are loads of lovely coastal places, and the food in Cornwall is getting better and better.

no chance of getting thrown out of a pub either - they are so pleased to see any paying customers that you would be welcomed with open arms.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 10:30 AM

I thought Cornwall too, but maybe it's out of stevelyon's budget.
Have you looked at other areas in Scotland? I know the system for buying houses is different which may put you off.
How far from Manchester do you want to be? Did you look elsewhere on the Lancashire coast?

I occasionally daydream of returning to the UK, and thinking of where I would choose to live.
West Wales appeals. Aberaeron would be an option for me. Maybe it's too far for you.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Wonderful place.

http://www.dalbeattie.net/area.asp

We should know!
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:15 PM

BTW most of Lancashire seems to want to live in our other haunt on the coast.

http://www.visitlytham.info/lifestyle/local-shopping/
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
what about the east coast - Alnwick, Berwick upon Tweed? or whitby, further south?
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Folk
I would dearly love to live either in Cornwall or Devon - work frequently takes me to Devon (the rail journey along the Devon coast... which I do twice a year... must be one of the greatest train journeys and not just in the UK) and I adore the area, but it is too expensive and too removed from daughters and their children in Lancashire. The area around Dalbeattie including Kippford and Rockley are wonderful but like Kircudbright not easy to get to. I am looking at Silverdale which is a lovely part of Lancashire and not far from the Lakes - there is also Morecambe much maligned but has its nice parts too ie Heysham. Ther East coast near Newcastle ie Seahouses is an area that we have yet to consider.
My money is on Anglesey; but we will see - Im a bit of a dreamer and suspect the practicalities will bring me back to earth - maybe I should just be content with doing the research.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 04:28 AM

Steve

Be very careful, I do Lytham to Rockcliffe most Fridays without any traffic in about 2 hours 15. Sometimes The M6 at Lancaster can lose you about 10 minutes at 5:30pm.

I have friends who bought in Anglesey and endure 4 to 5 hours on a Friday night. My experience of the A55 and M56 are just awful, I sailed there some years back, gave up due to the traffic.

Silverdale/ Arnside is a great idea, lovely area, good connections, good food and not too expensive. My Dad had a holiday home here, loved it.