Search

Moving to the UK - Cost of Living?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to the UK - Cost of Living?

This is sort of travel related...

We plan to move from northern Canada to either Scotland or Wales in the Fall and can hardly wait! My husband has an excellent professional job secured in either country - our choice. We have vacationed in the UK many times and are absolutely smitten with it. And yes, we love the climate and proximity to the sea - winters are so much warmer than where we live and we both love rain. As a gardener, I would love to be able to grow half of what is grown there! I lived in Glasgow for a short time so am very realistic about moving - it is not just a dream.

I have looked up many sites on the cost of living in both countries (seem quite similar) but would love to hear your take on it. What would the average cost of a small home be in a rural (or small village), less populated area? We are looking into two bedrooms (hopefully a characterful home, not newly built), preferably furnished so we can sell all we have here prior to moving. We would love to have a garden, too. My DH and I are in our 30's and are excited about starting this new life change. We are both quiet and really like isolation (love our own company) so do not need to be near a large city. We will sell all of our vehicles here as well and realize that although train travel is fantastic in the UK would love to have our own little car to do lots of exploring.

I am afraid at this point we do not know yet which village it will be but want to start researching costs per area.

Can anyone help or point us into the right direction?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:05 AM

You could start with www.upmystreet.com, which collates all sorts of statistics by area. And this has some useful general advice and links to more information:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/diyan...erty_type.html

But my guess is that one of the sites for expatriates that have been mentioned on older threads will be recommended again!

Oh, and by the way, if you really like isolation and your own company, you may well find more of it in a big city than in a small village.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

That is really great information - I thank you for these links.

You could be right about isolation and big cities! We currently live in a small town and find ourselves involved in nearly every committee imagineable.

I should have clarified that we would love to live in the country for the peace and quiet, walking, scenery, etc.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi T2,

Have you googled <real estate Scotland> or <estate agent Wales>?

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM

where in scotland or wales is the job? or is it travelling so it doesn't matter?

the cost of living between wales, scotland and even england is quite similar...except for housing. it is very difficult to give an indication of housing costs per area as these are huge areas with great variations in the cost of homes or rents. both countries have very desirable and very depressed areas...averages don't help much, i'm afraid. character properties always command much more than modern (which often means 1960s-70s)

try:
www.findaproperty.com

they have a decent mapping that shows you where in the country you are looking.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:18 AM

Very interesting site, but HOLY MOLY, the PRICES!!!!!

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes - findaproperty.com lists expensive homes but the map does help. We are looking in the 100,000-150,000 pounds range, preferably detached. We would pay about $300,00 CDN at the very most (equivalent to a lot of areas in Alberta or BC although expensive for where are currently living).

Found a lovely home in the countryside in Scotland with half an acre of land for under 150,000 pounds. We do not want to spend a lot of our savings on a house as we want to still save a fair amount.

I really wish we could be more specific on an area right now but it is fairly wide open - we fortunately get to pick and choose for the most part. The only difficulty with that is where on earth do we begin??? Not that I am complaining whatsoever...
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM

Bear in mind that, if you're buying, Scotland operates a sealed bid system: you bid your price (usually over the quoted price), and you're bound if it's accepted. In England and Wales, there's a period of time during which the various surveys and searches are done, queries raised and settled and so on, before the contract is signed and the completion date agreed for money, keys and deeds to change hands. So in Scotland, you have to get your survey and searches done and the awkward questions asked before you bid.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Good point, Patrick. Thank you for reminding me of that scheme in Scotland!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:26 PM

It's difficult to buy a property before you move to the UK, as houses vary a lot, individual tastes and needs differ, and you really have to see a property with your own eyes and do plenty of research before you commit yourself to buying. So I suggest when you first come over, you rent (most rentals are for 6 months, renewable, so you don't commit yourself long-term) and start house hunting. Very busy executives employ a property finding service, but charges are high. Most agents have an internet presence nowadays and will give you an idea about the sort of properties available, and prices. First find a local newspaper site (Google, say, Aberdeen newspaper), which carries properties listing and links to local estate agents (realtors).
Remember there are charges to pay beyond the 'ticket' price: stamp duty (1% on properties costing more than £125,000 up to £250,000), legal fees (say £500), survey fee (£300-£800 depending on size of property and details required). Then you should allow £2-3000 on essential repairs and redecoration, and furnishing. Fully-furnished houses for sale (as opposed to rent) are rare, as most people want to bring their own furniture and belongings. You can sometimes agree to buy some of the furniture and fittings from the previous owner.
You can look at average house prices in Scotland under regions at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...l/region12.stm.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Alec, for your helpful advice. What you say makes complete sense about renting first. Of course we have to wait for the visa information to be taken care of so are in no particular rush.

The website you provided helps a great deal. We are now looking into the Dumfries/Galloway and Fife regions. Who knows - that may change!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For property you can also look at www.espc.com. This is mostly Scottish and mostly in and around Edinburgh.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:57 PM

There was a similar thread like this a couple thinking of moving to The UK and were wasking for some info. They to had mentioned Sctoland or Wales, butw as also open to suggetions on other places. I can't seem to find it now, maybe someone else might find it.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Barbara, thank you for that information. I just found a delightful house on that website you provided. Of course, it is fun to look, but quite a different thing to actually rent/buy.

Crazychick, I will search for that thread you mentioned.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:43 PM

As someone who travels to Scotland fairly regularly, I can say that Scotland is much more expensive that Canada. A cup of coffee is £2 or more in most cafes, gasoline is twice the Canadian price, food is about 1.5 times what you would pay in my part of Canada and house prices are ridiculous compared to most of Canada. I do not think that there is a house in a U.K. village that I would want to live in that I could afford. My parental home on an island on the west coast of Scotland has two bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms is valued at £350000. If I were you, I would be looking for a small furnished flat instead of crippling yourself with a house purchase.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM

The good news is Scotland and Wales will both have fairly affordable housing compared with the rest of the UK (with the exception of some city locations). Since you say you're happy to be located somewhere quiet you do have a good chance of finding something pleasant AND affordable. Also, it's worth noting that some properties in Scotland are offered at set prices - not all sellers use the sealed bids system - though it is fairly widespread.

Another good property site is www.vebra.com.

Car-wise you will want something German to blend in. 8-)
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

RM, that is fabulous information. Thank you so much - your encouragement helps.

Alm, I know what you mean about crippling ourselves with a huge expenditure. We would likely rent a place for the first while but do intend to purchase a place.

We have been saving up for several years as we have had this notion for quite some time. We have travelled a lot in the interim but otherwise have not spent tons of money. We definitely intend to move there with 2-3 years worth of combined salaries (good salaries, too, thankfully) in addition to what we need for a home.

We, too, will have questions about insurance, medical care, etc. but have found some threads on that already so will try not to make it too redundant! We have no children so we do not require school information.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM

As soon as you arrive in UK to live (as opposed to merely visit), you are eligible to register with a GP for NHS service and it's free at the point of use. You only pay for prescription (£6.85 an item from today). Many people also get private medical insurance as part of their remuneration package, so you need to investigate that. It doesn't quite replace NHS care, but gets you hospital care and operations without having to wait and also you can choose when and where, and stay in a private hospital or private patients' wing of a NHS hospital.
Other things you need to bear in mind include deductions for tax and National Insurance, which will be higher than the Canadian norm but lower than many other European countries. You can get an idea of take-home pay from such sites as http://www1.netpaydue.com
There are other things like household insurance, car insurance etc which are roughly similar to what you are used to. You also pay Council Tax, which is based on house value, to your local authority. Average is around £1500 a year.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM

Whilst I'm about to bid for Scotland, I have to tell you, that, as of today, prescription charges have been removed in Wales.

I truly don't think that it's possible for anyone but you to decide between the two countries; FWIW, I SUSPECT that Wales will be cheaper; but I think it has more economic challenges.

The price of property in Scotland has soared in the last few years, anywhere within striking distance of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen or Inverness. And the price of property in teh "second home" market, even in VERY remote locations has gone through the roof too. I can't speak for Wales.

Most property in Scotland, at least outside Glasgow, is sold through the Solicitors' Property Centres. Most solicitors in Scotland are estate agents. If you get a handle on the area you decide on, your next step should be to find a solicitor you are happy with who will have access to past sales prices, and can guide you through the process (OK, OK, I'm not advertising. I do commercial stuff).

As to area, I'm thinking Galloway, the Central Highlands, the North West...but that's just based on price.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM

>>>>>
We definitely intend to move there with 2-3 years worth of combined salaries (good salaries, too, thankfully) in addition to what we need for a home.
>>>>>

not so fast! look into the uk tax rules....e.g. domicile of origin and ordinarily resident. in summary, if you don't take it in with you, you don't pay tax on the gains from it (and canada might not tax you either if you don't live there). if canada does tax it, you can stick it off-shore and you will pay NO tax on the gains from this money - no tax to canada, no tax to the uk and no tax to jersey, guernsey or isle of man. but do seek advice of a professional....i'm just warning you to look into it before you remit your fortune into the uk and get stitched up for taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -