Rethinking plans

Search

Rethinking plans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rethinking plans

One of the benefits of planning ahead and reading this board is discovering not too late, that you are trying to do too much in too short a time. Of course there will never be enough time to see every site, do every activity, outside of winning the lottery that is.
I had planned to spend 8 days in France- 5 in Paris and 3 in the Loire Valley. Last night I read a post, on a travel forum, where a family was trying to compress Paris into a single day: traveling via Eurostar from London in the am and returning that night. Somehow overnight the penny dropped and I realised my plans were wrong for me. Canceling my trip to Loire Valley this time. May add a day trip to Chartres.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:52 AM

This is a good way to learn, by reflecting on what others are doing. It is a lot cheaper than reflecting on our own mistakes!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not cancel a trip to the Loire valley if I had FIVE days and nights in Paris BUT I've been to Paris before.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:06 AM

on my first trip to Paris several years ago, we had a week. We did a day trip to the Loire using one of hte tour companies (it was either Cityrama or Parisvision, I've forgotten which). We did the minivanm tour, so there were just 8 people with a guide. It was a busy day, but made for a great day trip and we really enjoyed it. So maybe you can still get a taste of the Loire if you like.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Good for you - enjoy your time in Paris. If you need a chateau fix you can arrange for a trip to Vaux-le-Vicomte.

IMHO a Paris visit is like combining city and country - there are so many parks and country-like areas close to the city. If you become tired of city life you can take a few hours and explore some of the parks and gardens or Pere Lachaise cemetery.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM

While I do agree that most first time visitors to a new location are overly ambitious, 5 days in Paris and 2-3 days in the Loire Valley is very manageable. You could easily rent a car from Paris, swing by Chartres on your way to the Loire Valley and spend a few days there. You will be amazed by the contrast of big city life, that of Paris, with the small town feel of the Loire Valley.

The hotels are much cheaper, the restaurants just as good, and the countryside is beautiful. I wouldn´t change from your original plan one bit.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM

I'm not understanding why you changed your plans because you read some post where the folks were trying to compress a Paris visit into one single day. That's extreme; your plans weren't. Hey, do whatever you want to, but 5 days in Paris and 2-3 in the Loire is eminently sensible.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are a number of possible day trips less than one hour from Paris: Chartres, Reims, Lille...

You are completely authorized to improvise depending on the weather and whether you have suddenly experienced "Paris overload" which can happen when you get overloaded with the sights.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I'm a solo traveler. It would be fine if I had someone to share driving and planning. But traveling solo does have more burdens than couples or groups to balance the advantages. Am seriously considering Reims day trip. I see that it closed May 1st. Looking for cheap train tickets.

I really want to enjoy my trip- not race around trying to fit in everything. This is also a holiday, unwinding and going slow.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I've booked a train trip to Rhiems. Cathedral and Champagne sound just right. Was able to get a good price on SCNF. Rail Europe wanted to charge me a booking fee and higher prices - round trip 31 Euros.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Good for you on all counts, although your first itinerary was not unreasonable. BUT you will love being in Paris unhurried--and if you want to go to Giverney or Chartres, you can do it. But not "too" many day trips. Yours to Reims sounds very good.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Hi, Seems like we have similiar itineraries planned - although I am going to Paris during the summer. I would love to hear what you finally end up doing. Have you thought about any of the other walking tours or organized group tours?
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

I'm not a 'group' person. Might join a walking tour, and have booked a cooking class. Also have tickets for the Opera Garnier- strongly recommend you book a ticket online- they are not too expensive and a great way to appreciate both the architecture/art and artists. Much richer experience IMO than just walking thru the building. A friend lives in Paris- we might go for a Hamman - turkish bath at the Mosque. I also hear that there are free tango lessons somewhere in Paris.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Sounds like lots of fun! Enjoy all of it!