Search

Restrooms

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:12 AM
Karen

Restrooms

Hello!<BR><BR>I'm wondering about restrooms in Italy.<BR><BR>I heard from a friend that on fodors he found a map of all the McDonald's in Rome. They used McD's for "pit stops" since they tended to have facilities closer to what we're used to in the U.S. <BR><BR>Does anyone know if a map like this exists for Florence? I'll be there in November.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:51 AM
Ed

Karen, may I ask what it is you're wondering about restrooms in Italy?<BR><BR>They're clean. Often the ones in older buildings have quite old fixtures, but they work well usually. In newer buildings you'll find generally more attractive plumbing fixtures than in the US. (The Italians have an excellent design industry.)<BR><BR>Those are some small differences from the restrooms you'll find in the US.<BR><BR>The big difference, in my experience, is in cleanliness. I've never found a restroom in Italy that was remotely close to the filthy ones I often find in the US, both in my hometown and on the road.<BR><BR>I'm sure McDonalds would like Americans to think one needs to take a potty break in an "American" restroom, but it just ain't so.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 12:42 PM
xxx

There are still some "Turkish" toilets (hole in the floor) in some places (including in a major museum in Florence), but they have improved much in the last few decades. Most toilets, even in little towns in the boonies, are just standard style, and public toilets are usually much cleaner than in the US, again a big improvement over the way they were in the 1960's. The strangest thing about Italian toilets is the way they flush. There are all kinds of flushing mechanisms, and a Florentine I met advised that when finished, one should just push, pull, press, kick every button, pedal, lever, bar, and cord in sight until...SHWOOSH--it happens.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:12 PM
3of4

this is definitely more of a woman's question. notice the longer lines to the women's bathrooms? i'm the biggest anti-mcdonald's person there is but i would love to get such a map - and any other hints about finding bathrooms in italy.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:30 PM
elvira

The web is a wonderful thing (no map but addresses):<BR>http://www.mcdonalds.it/english/rist...egioprov2.html

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:10 PM
Karen

Thanks to everyone who responded. <BR><BR>Ed, in response to your question - my friend who visits family in Rome regularly made it seem like most of what I'd find was the hole-in-the-ground in front of God &amp; everybody routine. I was just wondering if this map was available in case I find myself in an area where that's the case. I like a little more privacy.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>Karen<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Ed

Thanks, Karen.<BR><BR>I've never seen one of those in 40 years of visits to Rome.<BR><BR>There used to be Turkish toilets (holes in the ground with porcelain "feet" to stand on on either side) atop the roof at St. Peters. (They were private, though.) They've been gone for some years now. I believe there may still be one outside at the rear of San Pietro in Vincoli, though it may have been removed in the last renovation. I've never run across any in restaurants or office buildings in Rome, though they used to be rather easy to find in Paris.<BR><BR>You'll find a high degree of sanitation in Rome.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:44 PM
KT

At a nice caffe in Lucca just a few years ago I was surprised to find a very modern, obviously recently installed Turkish toilet, complete with nicely corrugated footholds, etc. So I guess they're still being made.<BR><BR>Also, I pretty wide experience with the wonderful world of caffe WCs (in lots of cheap, local places -- we're not talking the Piazza San Marco here) and would have to say that the vast majority had neither seats nor paper. Tolerable, usable, and usually not disgusting, but not luxurious and not unfailingly spotless, either.