Reload this Page >

Restaurants near Ville Franche?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
nanette

We will be visiting South of France in August on the Crown Odyssey and tendering to Ville Franche. We have almost 2 complete days there. We love to eat and wonder if there are any perhaps one star restaurants nearby.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:29 AM
Nickie

A few years back, Terry McKay and I cruised into VilleFranche and had tea at Grandmother Janou's. It was quite lovely. It's up on the hills to your right as you sail into the harbor.<BR><BR>Best,<BR>Nickie

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Barbara

There are two one star resturants in Nice, L'Ane Rouge, in the port area of Nice and L'Univers near the center. I think the latter is open all summer and not sure about L'Ane Rouge. Have eaten in both and both are lovely. L'Univers is more modern in decor and food.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Nickie

Nanette, darling<BR><BR>I forgot to tell you in my earlier post, that you can hear the ships whistle very clearly from Grandmother Janou's house.<BR><BR>All my best,<BR>Nickie

Old May 25th, 2002, 09:02 AM
nanette

Nickie and Barbara, Thank you both so much for your responses!!! I'm going to do my research on all the places you listed and try to figure out what would be best. I should have mentioned a little about our little "group" in order for you to help me on this. My husband, myself, a childhood friend of my husband's (all in our 40's), our 22 year old son and our 10 year old son. We were thinking about taking the train to Nice, so would either of the restaurants you suggested, Barbara, be near the train station?<BR><BR>Would we need a cab (or two) to get to Grandmother Janou's? I love the name, it was my Uncle John's nickname as he was growing up in France! <BR><BR>You are both so sweet to answer me! I really appreciate it! It makes our upcoming trip all the more real!!!

Old May 25th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Michael

Nanette<BR><BR>Nickie Ferrante is the name of the character that Cary Grant plays in the movie, "An Affair to Remember". They ( Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr ) board a ship in Europe headed for New York and stop in Villefranche where his Grandmother Janou lives. They have tea with her that afternoon as they are falling in love. It's a lovely scene from the movie. One scene shows the ship in what looks to be Villefranche and they mention stopping in Villefranche in the movie. I've been to Villefranche and it looks like the area we sailed into. Sorry to disappoint you but someone is playing a joke on you. Hope you have a wonderful "trip to remember".

Old May 25th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Babs

Me too Nanette. I hope your trip is wonderful. The movie is one of the best films I've ever seen.

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Jennifer

You know Nanette, the movie "Sleepless in Seattle" was based on this movie "An Affair to Remember". It really is a great movie. This sounds like destiny to me....I think this will be a very special trip for you....have fun. And to think Cary Grant himself talked to you....go girl.

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:53 AM
nanette

Silly me! I saw the movie too!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I have a one track mind these days so I was easy game! Thanks for your sweet wishes, though!