Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Spain

Search

Restaurants in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Debbie

Restaurants in Spain

We will be travelling to Spain during the first two weeks in August. Can anyone recommend restaurants (preferably not touristy) in the following locations? <BR>Madrid <BR>Toledo <BR>Barcelona <BR>Seville <BR>Cordoba <BR>Granada <BR>Huelva <BR> <BR>Thanks!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:16 AM
michele

Debbie, <BR>There is a wealth of information on this subject. If you haven't done so, do a search <BR> <BR>Here are a few that I enjoyed: <BR>Seville- Casablanca, Zaragoza 50. Near the Plaza Nueva. Tel: 011 34-954-22-46-98. Superb tapas, not the usual fare. Popular with the King of Spain, matadors, and those lucky enough to find it and get in. <BR> <BR>La Casa del Cordero...In the Triana section. Delicious roast lamb..try the brazuelo ( the shoulder) just crackling with herbs. Paraiso 3. 427-9878 Not the easiest place to find, lots of locals <BR> <BR>Madrid: <BR>La Trainera, Lagasca 60 Tel: 576 05 75 <BR>Exquisite fish and seafood in a very chic section of town. Rather expensive. Popular with the diplomatic corps, businessmen, and the residents. I think it has a Michelin star. <BR> <BR>I can't remember any of the places I ate in Granada, but the fish spots were all good. I am probably the only person who didn't like the Caballo Rosa , can't remember the exact name, in Cordoba. The service was faster than MacDonald's and less personal and the food was nothing exciting. I should add that it was teeming with tour groups, too. It has an excellent reputation, so perhaps I hit it on a bad night. <BR> <BR>Barcelona: El Mussol in the Bario..great grill. D'agut Avignon (sp?) very elegant spot featuring regional cuisine. Barcelona has lots of excellent spots. <BR> <BR>Look for a post entitled Restaurant/Tapas in Madrid and Seville by Nalneesh. I think it was posted in May this year. It's a good list.Also, Maribel's postings are always informative. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Marion

In Madrid: Don't have the name handy, but it's been mentioned on prior posts (last year) and is in guide books: The one famous for it's chicken & cider. You can walk there from the rear of the palace. It's "in" an old wall about a block from the train station. Sit at outside table if weather permits. Had local families as well as us tourists. <BR> <BR>In Granada -- Dinner at the Alhambra. You do not need to be staying at the inn suggest taking a taxi to & from. It was one of our very very best meals in Europe, and we chose from the "menu of the day" -- do try the San Francisco selection of deserts (included. I heard about it on this Forum so again, search for posts.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Marija

We really enjoyed Ruta de la Veleta outside of Granada. In Barcelona try Irati for tapas.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 05:35 AM
amg

Debbie, <BR> <BR>In Madrid - #62 Gran Via (I don't remember the name) is a great seafood reasturant. They have a cafe downstairs and a nice reasturant upstairs. We ate at both. The hake-a white fish- is excellent as is their lamb. I would also recommend the artichoke hearts. They have a huge varity of fresh seafood and were very popular with the locals. <BR> <BR>In Toledo we ate at the Hotel Cardinal's reasturant. Amazing roast suckling pig. The sangria was the best we had in all of Spain, but also the most potent - it is made with brandy. <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR>Aileen

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 07:20 AM
Lou

I want to second the recommendation outside Granada-Ruta de la Veleta . A truly a remarkable restaurant.One of the best ones in Spain. We let them pick the entire dinner. Not cheap but very fair about $ 185 for 4 with wine

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:42 AM
michele

Debbie, <BR>I forgot to mention the Hotel America in Granada, right next door to the parador, serves tasty regional specialties on the tile and plant laden patio. It's very small so you need a reservation and I would recommend lunch as the dinner menu is very limited. <BR> <BR>Michele

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 01:13 PM
Deena

We also ate at the Hotel de Cardinal's restaurant in Toledo and had a wonderful meal. Several people recommended to us and the suckling pig was superb.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:09 PM
Sara

I am lucky enough to live with a chef (à 5 kgs per yr) and work at a travel agency, so we combine the two and eat our way through Europe. The best so far has been the Ritz at Madrid.