Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help itinerary/hotels rome/positano/florence/venice/como? 14day with kids

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 05:17 AM
carol

Hello,

we are leaving in mid aug for 2 weeks with 9 and 12 yr old girls. so far this is what I have planned, what do you think?
3night rome/Hotel Forte
2nights Positano Hotel Marincanto
1 night Tuscany-thinking about san giagiamano. any ideas
2 nights florence-Hotel casci
2nights venice Hotel San Gallo
3 night Loake como Best Western Grand? anyone stay at that hotel? any other ideas? we are looking to rest and have a pool. Thank so much

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 08:48 AM
nancy

Carol,
Haven't been yet, going next summer, (two weeks, two children, boy will be 13 ,and girl will be 10)
You know your children best, but do you think you might be moving around too much?
Too much packing and unpacking?
How do your children travel?
I know mine would meltdown!
We are doing a week in Rome, and then a week at a beach between Rome and Naples.
With alot of day trips interspersed.
I know personally my husband and I would probably enjoy adding another major area or two(such as Florence/Tuscany, or Venice),
But we decided that it was best not to overload ourselves/children.
Especially being our first trip to Europe.
Hope you get more suggestions/advice.
And I *really* hope you all have a Great Time!!
Nancy

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 10:51 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Carol, I assume you are driving. That
is alot of ground to cover with kids, and in August no less. I see visions of the Griswolds.

I have not heard of any of those hotels
except the Casci. I do not prefer staying in the city of Como rather than
Bellagio or Varenna. Frankly, I think you need to rethink this itinerary.
Something needs to go---I would suggest
either Positano or Venice just based
on time and geography.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Gail

Good afternoon, Carol. Positano is too far out of your way for this itinerary. I just got back from 2 weeks in Italy and it was very hot. I know that Italy will be hot at this time. I also question staying 1 day in Tuscany and if I did, I would go to Monteriggioni. It is a very unique village and right off the road (not autostrada but SS22) between Rome and Florence. It has 2 good restaurants within the village walls and would be a perfect stop for lunch. It is so unique that I think your daughters would really remember it.

I don't know if you are driving, but we found that getting around and finding hotels within large cities often took a lot longer that we anticipated.

Good Luck!

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Lisa

Hi Carol,
First let me say congratulations on the
good fortune of taking your children on such a wonderful vacation. I don't know
if you've been there before but you are in for the experience of your life. My husband and I spent the same two weeks there 4 years ago and are returning again the middle two weeks of Aug. with our 19 and 14 year old children so they can experience Italy's beauty for themselves. I have to say it does sound as if you'll be on the road travelling far too often. On our last visit we spent 4 days in Rome, rented a car and spent a week in Tuscany at a villa in a small town [Reggello] doing day trips to Lucca, Sienna, San Giminagno, Pisa and Florence. We left 2 days open at the end of our trip to possibly go to Venice but realized by then that it would be too tiring and so chose to return to Rome for the perfect ending to our trip. It was glorious, but I'm not sure it would have been if we tried to do too much. The villa in Tuscany was centrally located to the towns we visited and afforded us the option of returning there for siesta [poolside] or dinner if we tired from a long day.
Our itinerary next month is similar except we'll spend the first week in Tuscany [the same villa, it was so perfect.... if you'd like the name just let me know], 4 days in Rome and end our trip in the Naples/Amalfi area so that we may visit relatives.
My suggestion; try to stick to 2 or 3 cities or areas you would like to see and save the others for your next visit, and once you've been there there'll definitely be a next time.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:24 AM
carol

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the input. Originally we were going to stay in Rome for 4 nights and do a day trip to Pompeii (based on Walters post), but I thought that would be too hectic so we opted to leave Rome and stay in Positano. On the way to Positano, go to Pompeii for 1/2 a day and then relax in Positano that night and the next day. Can we store our luggage in the Naples train station? I didn't want to drive drom Rome to Positano.Next on the agenda is to train to Florence or halfway between Florence and Rome (any suggestions). Drive around San Giagamano etc and stay in a nice place. The next day drop off the car and stay in Florence for 2 nights and train to Venice for 2 nights, then train to Lake Como to relax. My kids have travelled Europe before and prefer to move around and see things. Positano and Como is total relaxing. Venice and Florence we will only go 2 2 museums, then just explore etc watch the people, shop etc. What do you think? I think the train is easier then driving? Any thoughts on this. My husband would like to drive from Naples to Tuscany. I think it would be easier to train. Any ideas?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Linda

In Rome you can't go wrong with Duca d'Alba hotel. They have suites for travel with children and it's reasonable, charming, clean, close to everything, and has a wonderful staff as well. In San Gimignang, the Hotel L'Antico Pozzo is fabulous! Enjoy.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 06:14 PM
Anne

Carol,

We just got back from a month in France and Italy with a 13 yr. old and 16 yr. old. We landed in Paris and flew back out of Milan traveling all by car (in between of course). Here's what I learned: Big cities can be taxing on one's energy and right after landing, everyone is adjusting to their own personal level of jet lag. Rome will be hot as hell which contributes to a certain kind of muggy crankiness, not to mention the crowds you'll be pushing through to see any of the attractions. I would suggest breaking down the trip into 3-4 day segments, beginning and ending in a relaxing setting, where you can do day trips into the big city if you are so compelled. If you stay between Florence and Siena, either city will be about a 1 hr. drive and you'll have a broader radius to explore the area. I would skip Venice and end your trip with at least 2 nights in Lake Como area. We stayed in Leno, on the west side of the lake across from Bellagio. It was 20 minute boat ride across the water. Every place we stayed was away from the fray and that made the biggest difference of all.

Another suggestion... have a family planning meeting before you go and get everyone's input and make sure they can visualize distances, interests and anticipated energy levels. That way, when its time to get everyone packed up to move to the next location, they'll be invested in the transition. Also, pack light, bring maybe 4 changes of clothing and do handwash every other night. The more stuff you cart around, the bigger a pain it is to pick up and move to the next location. Your kids are old enough to pack and take care of their own stuff, which really helps.

Most of all, enjoy this precious time of discovery with your family.

Anne

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 01:58 PM
dave

did 5 with 3 kids.spent 10 days italy. try to go to beaches outside rome and other places every 2/3day break for kids and parents.good luck

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:13 PM
Thyra

Carol, we stayed at the Casci last March! Lucky you! It was my favorite hotel in Italy! I wish you a wonderful trip, you must write a review upon your return.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:16 PM
Thyra

PS, I hope you have all your reservations!

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 04:51 PM
carol

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the input. We have decided to inot stay in Positano. We will stay in rome 5 nights and make Pompeii into a day trip. then drive to Sienna stay overnight and move onto Florence for 2 nights, Venice 2nights and Lakd Como 3 nights. This seems more manageable. Thanks for your help, any other advise? Where should we stay in Sienna, we have reservations everywhere else. Any ideas?