Restaurants in Spain

Search

Restaurants in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Spain

My mother and I are going to Spain in May.

My mom loves food but is not big on beef / pork. Are there non pork options available?

Can anyone provide restaurant suggestions in Barcelona,
Madrid, Toledo, Sevilla and Granada?

Part of my mom's vacation happiness comes from food, I want to make sure she's satisfied.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM

my close friends from Barcelona tell me: one of the best restaurants in town is the Michelin starred roof restaurant of Hotel Majestic (great hotel by the way, superb location)
another famous restaurant was la Dana, elegant and great food. Have been there very very nice.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM

lamb and chicken are usually very good across spain. you can also find magret de pato, (duck breast) at the more adventurous restaurants.

for a nice restaurant with great salads and a different twist on some tradicional plates, i like "Séptimo" on diego de leon, near the am. embassy.

I always try to stop there for cake and coffee in morning, or lunch or dinner. my husband and two friends from italy tried it last december with me and they all were surprised.

this is not a three star place.. just good food, nice ambience, and very different menu from most restaurants in spain. oh.. and reasonable prices.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:00 AM

There is alot of seafood on the menus - also there is a huge variety of tapas - different vegetables, cheeses and salads - one famous spanish dish is a potato omelet. Also popular is paella whcih will be offered with different choices of ingredients, including a seafood version, poultry, etc. Try to do a little research on Spanish food before you go - I really like the food but to me it is a little different.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM

DH doesn't eat beef or pork and we have no problems at all eating very well in Spain.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM

In Toledo one of the better options is the restaurant at the Hostal del Cardenal. One of their specialties is partridge but the lamb is also good.

If you want a sit down restaurant in Seville (most nights we just ate tapas) I would recommend Enrique Becerra. You will find fantastic seafood in both Seville and Barcelona, in particular.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Excuse me I said La Dana should read La Dama. It is in 'Art Nouveau' style very nice. You can read a review on Frommers.com
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Pork is huge here the same way the beef is big in Texas. That does not mean that you will have trouble finding other options, as lin said.

In Barcelona:

There are tons of really good restaurants. La Lluna on passatge de Bonanova (behind Hotel Nouvel on Santa Anna St) is my favorite in the city (I go every Friday like clockwork), and you will also find Elisabets (on Elisabets St just off MACBA plaza) to have great home cooking.

Everyone visiting Spain should, at least once, eat churros, and though they are more famous in Madrid, I found a place in Barcelona:
http://bcnweek.com/shortlist1.html
that beats all for price and taste. You must make this dinner one day, and it is located in a really great area.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Hola

Seafood is good, plentiful and inexpensive in Spain (the anchovies and boquerones are scrummy). In Seville we ate well at this restaurant in picturesque Barrio Santa Cruz - http://www.restaurantelacueva.net. In Barcelona plenty of seafood dining on the beach at Barcelonetta. In Madrid chocolate and churros at San Gines is mandatory for chocaholics! In Granada no personal recommendations but dinner in the Albaicin barrio ahould be memorable. Our taxi driver informed us you can have good rabbit there. A poster in this forum spoke highly of this restaurant - http://www.abenhumeya.com/i_rest.htm
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:36 AM

In Madrid you can eat excellent seafood.
I suggest you:
* Restaurante Goizeko Kabi (basque cuisine). Calle Comandante Zorita, 37
* Restaurante Combarro (galician cuisine).
Calle Reina Mercedes, 12
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Seems like there will be lots of options. The seafood sounds great!