Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Rome, Florence, Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 1999, 09:34 AM
Pam Shave

Hi - I am traveling with my family on Tauck Tours through Italy in 2 weeks. We are looking for restaurant suggestions in Rome (preferably Trastevere area), Florence and Venice. We only have one free night for dinner in each city, so we are looking for it all - lively atmosophere, great food, preferably outdoor seating - the total Italy dining experience. Any price range is fine. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old May 13th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Paulo

What does "family" mean, Pam? Kids? How old? <BR> <BR>The restaurant in Rome we've been to that best fits your requirements is (you'll have to check if tables are set outside, though; never went there in May): <BR> <BR>Rome - Sabatini (Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere 13 - tel. 06 581 2026). Right in the middle of the liveliest action in Trastevere. Splendid view of the piazza, church and action. Very good service and cuisine. Much fun for adults and children alike. Reservations essential. <BR> <BR>I'll pass Florence and Venice till the term "family" is clarifyed <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old May 14th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Pam Shave

Sorry it wasn't clear in my last email...by family I actually mean my husband, parents, brothers and sisters and their partners, ages 26 and up, a lively bunch of adults. Thanks!

Old May 14th, 1999, 05:59 AM
anne

Pam, We just returned from the same places you'll be visiting. Rome---Ristorante da Sabatino a S. Ignazio, Piazza S Ignazio.169 Tel. 06-67.97.821 <BR>Florence-Trattoria ZA_ZA, Piazza del Mercato Centrale.26r Tel.215411 or for the bistecca alla fiorentina Buca Lapi, Via del Trebbio 1r tel-055-213-768 make reservations Venice-Trattoria da Bruno--Salizzada San Lio, Calle del Paradiso 5731 Have a good trip.

Old May 14th, 1999, 07:13 AM
Paulo

Matters cleared, here we go, Pam <BR> <BR>It's difficult to suggest restaurants in Florence and Rome that meet ALL your requirements ... Anyways, consider the following: <BR> <BR>My first choice in Florence would be the Il Cibreo (Via dei Macci 118/r, 055/2341100). Very good cuisine, outside seating in a piazza, and a relative lively atmosphere. But beware that it doesn't serve grilled plates nor pasta and there might be somebody in your party that won't be 100% happy. If eating fish is ok, the best place I know is La Capannina di Sante (Piazza Ravenna, 055/688345). There should be tables outside, but I wouldn't call the place very lively. Finally, for typical Florentine cuisine and specially if you care for a bistecca, Buca Lapi, as suggested, also gets my vote. Lively <BR>enough, but no outside seating. Reservations are mandatory in all of them (specially considering the size of your party). <BR> <BR>In Venice, IMO you should consider Harry's Bar (Calle Vallaresso 1323, 041/5285777). Very good food and service, very lively atmosphere, no outside seating though. Get a dry Martini or a Bellini at the bar, and have dinner in the room upstairs, with an explendid view of the La Salute church. A completely different option (and much more fun), considering you're a lively group, would be a bacari tour. This means you start around 6pm and finish around midnight or later, after a nice (quite long) night stroll through Castello and Cannaregio (which is a program in itself), visiting about 5 typical Venetian Osterias, eating "cicheti" (small portions of appetizers) and sipping "ombra" (small glass of wine). Email me if you care for an itinerary suggestion. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old May 14th, 1999, 09:38 AM
Les

In Florence, our favorite, fun, restaurant was Leo's. Not outdoors, but a loud authentic experience. Cheap (or at least reasonable) too. Best Risotto in town.

Old May 16th, 1999, 04:27 PM
Kim

I would have to agree with Paulo on Il Cibreo (in Florence). Just be aware that they have 2 or 3 different restaurants. One is very expensive, but the food is divine. There is also a cafe and trattoria, if I'm not mistaken. In Rome, I would have to vote for Ristorante Alla Rampa. It's not in Trastevere, but near the Spanish Steps. The atmosphere is laid-back, the food delicious and relaxing on the Spanish Steps afterwards is wonderful. Have a great time!

Old May 16th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Lori

I was in Rome a few years ago and <BR>one of my most memorable dining <BR>experiences was at Hostaria Gigi. <BR>This restaurant is located at the foot <BR>of the Spanish Steps, you can't miss it. <BR>The food is wonderful, the fettucini <BR>alfredo is to die for. We went twice <BR>and ordered different things. The service is good and the atmosphere <BR>is delightful. You can sit inside or <BR>outside at their cafe tables. Very <BR>charming. <BR>

Old May 17th, 1999, 02:59 AM
Carl Lindskog

You can't go wrong at either Alla Rampa or Sabatini's. Check the totals on your bill carefully. In Florence, I Latini is a typical Tuscan experience. Aqua a Due near the Ponte Vecchio is also great. Get your jewelry on the Bridge at Dante Cardini. It's one of the few family owned shops left.