Restaurants in London near Russell Square

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be staying near Russell Square for a few days while visiting London. Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants near this area? I'm looking for pubs, but any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Lots of good pubs. Very few good restaurants.

What sort of thing are you after? I know the pubs in this area far too well.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Just a thought - I rarely end up eating meals in London near my hotel, unless I'm grabbing something for breakfast. I usually eat near wherever I'm visiting during the day - dinner near the theatre I'm going to at night, or lunch near the museum or park I visited in the morning. Finding a pub nearby to have a drink at the end of the evening makes sense, but most likely you won't be in the area for many meals.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I stayed at the Academy, which is on Gower St, about 2 blokcs for Russell Square.

One night I walked over to Charlotte St, which is on the other side of Tottenham Ct Rd. There are quite a few restaurants on this street, and , as CW states, pubs here and on the way to there. including some "gastro pubs".

On Charlotte street there was French (Chez Gerard, a chain), Mexican, Indian,etc. I chose Palms of Goa, and had Chicken Tikka Masal, egg fried rice, and a Tikka beer for ~£16

On Store St is Busaba Eathai restaurant. Very nice thai food in a modern decor, with patio if required. I don't have my trip notes here for pricing.

On Sicilian avenue there is an Italian place called the Spaghetti House with patio. Did not go in, but that area is quite nice, so I had it on my "try" list. Reviews seem to be at both ranges of like/not like. There are a few others on that street.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I'm looking for a fish and chip place that I can go to my first night in London. I will be arriving into London Heathrow about 2 p.m. By the time I grab my luggage, clear customs, and head into the city, I'm estimating that it will take me at least 1.5 hours to get to Russell Square via the underground. Since it usually takes me some time to adjust to the time difference, I usually don't like to plan anything on my first day, except dinner.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
yk

NOrth Sea Restaurant on Leigh Street for fish and chips will be very close to where you're staying; about 0.3 miles. http://www.northseafishrestaurant.co.uk/

A cheaper option is Fryer's Delight near Holborn, at 19 Theobald's Road; about 0.7 miles.
http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...iews/9396.html

Make sure you check opening/closing times for both places before you go.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM

I was just going to mention North Sea.

Another possibility (that I still haven't visited despite numerous trips, but it gets a good write-up) is Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell Street in Covent Garden. That wouldn't be too far of a walk from Russell Square.

I almost ate there yesterday for lunch but was running slightly late to finalize packing/getting to the airport.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
North Sea is good and nearby. Charlotte Street has a ton of restaurants (just walk by and read the menus posted outside). You are also w/i reasonable walking distance of Covent Garden so you will have TONS of places to choose from.

In general I agree w/ jent103. I seldom eat near my hotel. During my last London visit in May I ate nearby twice - and one of those was only because I had friends coming to meet me. You are more likely to be eating near theatres or museums or tourist attractions.

One thing . . . "<i>I will be arriving into London Heathrow about 2 p.m. By the time I grab my luggage, clear customs, and head into the city, I'm estimating that it will take me at least 1.5 hours to get to Russell Square via the underground.</i>"

I'd count on longer than 90 minutes. Immigration may or may not take a lot of time. (Customs is nothing - Immigration/passport control is where things can get slow) Same w/ retrieving your bags. Plus there is no guarantee you will get off the plane right away - my last two flights into LHR we had to wait out on the tarmac for a gate. W/ a 2 PM landing, I'd plan on getting to my hotel around 4:30 and be very happy if it took less time.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM

Pubs near Russell Square wot I likes:

The friend at hand (behind the tube station). Nothing fancy -- a genuine locals pub. Friendly and not touristy.

The Lord John Russell in Judd St. Again a real community pub. Customers are students from UCL, workers from UCH and Camden Council staff as well as locals.

The Queens Larder in Queen Square (and the pub next to it called, I think, The White Swan) - Lovely old pubs (and the Queen's does decent grub). Deans Brasserie is a bar that has good cheap food.

It's not a great area for restaurants - the North sea aside. But not far away is Drummond St - a street of Indian restaurants that are very good (and dirt cheap).

Under no circumstances whatsoever go in The London Pub in the National Hotel. It is quite honestly the worst pub in the world.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM

A few years ago, we stayed at the Morgan Hotel on Bloomsbury Street. We ate dinner one night just up the street and to the left on South Oxford Street at Le Bistro. It was a small place just past the MacDonald's, and the food was really good.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM

We stayed near Russell Square for six weeks this time last year, and there are two places I'd like to add to your list (some other favorites are already here, I see):

The Norfolk Arms, at 28 Leigh Street (even have a website at www.norfolkarms.co.uk): had our favorite meal in the area here.

And a pub with good pies and a nice vintage look: Princess Louise at 208 High Holborn.

(An aside to Cholmondley: I always love your posts, especially here. Your comments on the London Pub in The Royal Nasty [as our students call it] is perfect. The worst pub in the world in what has to be one of the worst hotels in town....)
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM

7 or 8 years ago we ate twice at the Old Amalfi at 107 Southampton Row with our grandchildren. The food and service were excellent and the children, 11 and 14, were thrilled with their treatment.

Ordinarily I don't recommend restaurants or hotels and certainly not any from that long ago. Checking the reviews of recent patrons it would seem the impressions we had are still valid.

Google old amalfi restaurant london
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. The talk of good food is making me hungry! I'm looking forward to having several excellent meals in London thanks to your recommendations.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM

And a pub with good pies and a nice vintage look: Princess Louise at 208 High Holborn.>>>>

And now for possibly the strangest piece of advice I've ever given on here....

If you go to the Princess Louise make sure you go to the gents. They are a wonder to behold. Honestly.

CW - Britain's leading authority (in fact only authority) on pub khazis.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM

And one more Indian restaurant in your area: Chabeli on Southhampton Row, just a few blocks from Russell Square - excellent locals Indian food, good prices, nice service.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM

tt

Cholmondley_Warner: are you speaking of the Royal National? We received two nights free a few years ago through BA and stayed there on our return from Scotland before leaving for the US. You should have seen our stunned faces when we got to our room.
The flimsy curtains, the lousy bkfast; the 20 pound deposit on the hairdryer. It was almost too much for my friend. She started to walk to the Morgan, where we had stayed before, to try and get another room. I reminded her how much it would cost us and stopped her in her tracks. Memories...
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM

Is the Hare & Tortoise Noodle Bar in the Brunswick Centre next to the Renoir Cinema still there?

Used to eat there a lot when staying on Judd Street. Really exellent and authentic noodle bar that shows up Wagamama for what it is. Good size poprtions for the hungry at very reasonable prices - can't rate this place highly enough for an unpretentious meal; and it's open late!

Dr D.