Restaurants in Devon and Cornwall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're spending a couple of weeks soon in Devon and Cornwall and would appreciate some restaurant recommendations -- from good pub grub to nice restaurants with good seafood especially. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 11:19 AM

We tend to eat in a lot of pubs, we like the people-watching and find the food tasty and reasonable. Some of our recommendations in Cornwall: <BR>Roseland Inn, Philleigh - out in the country, great Sunday lunches, not far fr. the King Harry ferry<BR>The Ship Inn, Portloe - a bit of a nightmare to get to (the road is very narrow) but lots of atmosphere and the town literally spills into the harbour<BR>Plume of Feathers, Portscatho - very friendly, great ale. Rest.: Quills specializes in fresh seafood<BR>Victory Inn, St. Mawes - great food and prices<BR>The Old Watch House - not that fancy but open all day and food fine, next door is the Jolly Sailor Takeaway - cornish pasties were good as were fish and chips<BR>Water's Edge Rest. at The Idle Rocks Hotel - open in the evening, overlooks the harbour, excellent service<BR>The Harbour Inn, Porthleven - best rib eye steak I've ever had<BR>Pandora Inn, Restronguet - smuggler's pub, and sailboats park right at the front. Good food but we found expensive.<BR><BR>Devon:<BR>Rising Sun, Lynmouth - thatched 14th c. pub perched on/in hillside - we didn't eat there but great location and ale<BR>Nobody Inn, Doddiscombsleigh - wow - you can just eat all the different Devon cheeses. Posh restaurant in the evenings - lamb was to die for.<BR><BR>Also, in an article I ripped out of an English magazine when we were there in September recommended a bunch of restaurants that you can see reviewed at www.foodincornwall.com <BR>
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I highly recommend the Abbey Hotel (we based our stay at the Abbey but I believe that the restaurant was open to anyone); Two outstanding pubs are the Turks Head and Admiral Benbow all on Chapel Street in Penzance. Be sure to 'look up' as there is a wooden carving of a smuggler with spyglass on the roof of the Admiral Benbow. Also in Penzance is Richmond's - awesome seafood - another great restaurant is Harris's.<BR><BR>In St. Ives, we had lunch at The Grapevine and splurged that evening and ate at the Garrack Hotel.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Well hello again!<BR>One place I remember well in Cornwall from a visit a very long time ago was the Port Gaverne Hotel in Port Isaac. Fantastic food BUT I don't know what its like now.<BR>I had thought of making a repeat visit recently for a special occasion but I couldn't find out if its reputation was still as good.<BR>If it is,then its on a par with the best restaurants I've recommended for you on your question on North Wales
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:04 PM
vcl

There is a lovely restaurant next door to the Beachfield Hotel in Penzance. Sorry I can't remember the name, but I do remember running into the chef early one afternoon, chatting with him about what he might prepare for us that evening, and having him call us in our hotel room when our dinner was just about ready. You can't ask for better service than that and the food matched.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 01:59 AM

Salamander, Mevagissey