Restaurants in Bologna

Dec 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Gabriel Rossetti

Restaurants in Bologna

I will be staying in Bologna for 3 nights this February, and am looking forward to eating my way through Bologna. Any recommendations ? Thanks

Dec 8th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Yum Yum Yum

Any place that does not say "McDonalds" should suffice. The food in Bologna is wonderful.

I spent three nights in Bologna this past June and loved every place I ate at. Unfortunately, I forgot most of the names of places.

One place I do remember (mostly because it was my father John's birthday) was Trattoria da Gianni ("Gianni" = "Johnny"). The food was excellent albeit a tad rich, because what I ordered was in a cream sauce and I don't really care for cream sauces. I forget where it is, but it's near Tamburini, northwest of Piazza Maggiore (I'm defining walking up Viale dell'Indipendenza as "north"). It's down an alley, so you'll have to look for it.

Another place was Da Nello, just off Indipendenza on the last street before you get to Via Ugo Bassi (the Due Torri street). I think that the street name is Via Montegrappa.

Just up Via Montegrappa (?) a couple of blocks from Da Nello is Bologna's best gelateria. It's expensive, but when I was there it was packed. Great granita, too.

There's a self-service cafeteria on Via Ugo Bassi just east of Piazza Maggiore (again, using the same north reference as before). I think it was called Bass'Otto. The food was okay for mass-produced food, but it was a good way to eat a light lunch in air conditioning and -- get this -- a no-smoking section! Granted, in February, I hope you don't need air conditioning....

Whatever you do and wherever you go, make sure to pick up some Bolognese/Emilia-Romagnan delicacies like parmigiano, prosciutto, and lambrusco in a salumeria somewhere. Bring them back to your hotel room, maybe with some vegetables, and you'll enjoy your own cooking. Helluva lot cheaper too.

Dec 8th, 2002, 05:38 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Gabriel
Here are two more which we have used
in past years, all very close to the Pza
Maggiore.
LA MELA , via de Fusary, 5, excellant
pizza and also fish dishes. $$$ resvn
suggested..
TRATTORIA DA ADOLFO, Corte Galluzzi, 7
excellant, simple ,family run trattoria
located about 1 block down the Massimo d'Azeglino from the Pza Maggorie, in
little court to the left. very few
tables, reservations a must....very
good food. Loved this place.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Dec 8th, 2002, 09:38 AM
russ

Gabriel,

I have eaten at the all of the restaurants mentioned below except La Mela and can say they are great suggestions. The best Gramigna con Salsiccia (a type of pasta with sausage) I have ever had was at Da Adolfo. It is a Bolgnese specialty, but something about theirs was extra special. Buon Appetito!

Dec 8th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sally

And if you want to have an excellent meal at one of Bologna's best restaurants, try Cesarina at the Piazza ?? (rats, forgot the name!) Anyway, it's right in the center, just about ten minutes walk or so from the Piazza Maggiore. And the others are right: just about every restaurant in Bologna is excellent!

Dec 9th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Alice Twain

Yum yum yum:

Actually most restaurants in Bologna are quite poor. We, I mean the people from Emiliar Romagna, have a peculiarity: we would rather have a mediocre meal outside (not bad, only mediocre) so tat once at home we can say " I eat better at home". This attitude (I am not trying to fool you!!!) is frequent in every large city of Emilia, but it is particularly common in Bologna and Parma. Most restaurant will offer you standard foos perpared with little respect for the tradition, lots of cream sauces (one good rule: whe in Italy you order a dish of pasta ask how is the sauce made, if the waiter says "panna" or "cream" chose something else, with the only exception of ragù alla bolognese) and usually too high prices.

Dec 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
z

Ristorante Bitone Via Emilia levante, 111
Bologna 40100
+39 051546110

Located in Mazzini

The old Bitone restaurant is not far from the old town, on the old street that crosses Bologna that leads o other large Emilian cities offering excellent home cooking together with great courteousness and hospitality.

midday-2.30pm, 7.30pm-11pm Wed-Sun.

Dec 14th, 2002, 06:54 PM
homesick for italy

I ate at Cesari recently... they have some nice added touches built into the cost of the meal (ie. welcome glass of champagne... and "complimentary" grappa at end of meal). very friendly, great traditional bolognese dishes.
Ristorante Cesari / via de’ Carbonesi 8 (051/237710)

Mar 14th, 2003, 10:40 AM
RAR

Since I'm hungry for dinner right now, I'll add some thoughts:

La Mela has decent food, and a decent pizza. Not one of the best places, but it is conveniently placed 2 seconds from Piazza Maggiore.

Best pizza in city: La Bella Napoli, Via San Felice.

Trattoria da Gianni is indeed one of the best spots in the city.

Gelateria da Gianni is my favorite spot for gelato (yes, it is on Via Montegrappa). 2nd place is La Sorbetteria on Via Castiglione.

Never tried out Cesari yet, supposed to be great though.

For the best tortellini con panna in the city (a Bolognese dish), head to Biaggi, at San Felice and the Viale. It is however ratherpricey. Book ahead.

For great service and food, at somewhat of a cost (but not as high as Biaggi) try Trattoria da Pietro. It's on Via Falegnami, a small road between Indipendenza and Galiera.

Last, but not least, my favorite place, Osteria il 15. Located on Via Mirasole 15, which is a small road near Via d'Azeglio and the Viale. They only serve traditional Bolognese food. Has great gramigna con salsiccia, awesome awesome crescentina, and really good lasagna. Real nice atmosphere (small, cozy), fun, and not too pricey. Call in advance to reserve, or you won't get a table until late. # is 051 33 18 06.