Valencia experts: Trying to decide Valencia hotel location for Easter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks. I'm just finishing up arrangements for the pre- and post-trip days of a cycling trip in Mallorca. The cycling trip ends Good Friday; we fly home from Madrid the Tuesday after Easter Sunday.

Since we have to pay the penalty of staying over Easter (crowds, some closed restaurants and shops Easter Monday, etc), I thought, "Heck, let's go somewhere to enjoy the hoopla."

Ergo, I have settled on flying into Valencia from Madrid Easter Saturday a.m. and staying at least Sat and Sunday nights to allow us to catch the Maritime Easter Procession in the El Cabanyal district.

But I am having a hard time deciding whether or not to stay in the El Cabanyal area, which can be seedy in spots and is far from not only the city center but also the airport from which we will arrive and the train station by which we would leave. The huge plus in staying around there is that there would be no way we'd miss the action Easter morning.

My alternative is to stay in the city center, where we would have immediate access to all the things we'd want to see Easter Saturday and Easter Monday, plus easier entry Saturday a.m. to get from the airport. Staying in the city center would mean I'd probably have the option of staying Easter Monday evening and catching a fast train Tuesday to Madrid to meet our 12:30 pm flight out.

So does anyone have an opinion?????
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 05:20 AM

El Cabanyal is not very attractive. There is the proximity of the beach, but it will absolutely not give you a real feel of the great atmosphere and the beauty of Valencia.
I'd stay in the city centre.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 07:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
definitely stay in the centre of Valencia. We spent 4 nights at the Melia Plaza, which was only a stroll away from the old town, and the same distance more or less from the train station, so it would fit your bill admirably but there are several other options in that area.

We caught the bus to the El Cabanyal district from just across the square.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
AZ
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I have to disclose:
Now I'm considering that we'd work our way to Valencia once we landed in Madrid pre cycling trip, then fly to Mallorca, do that cycling stuff (or for me, van stuff) and do Toledo afterwards to catch Easter hoopla.

I hate my "trip perfection" impulses.

Anyway, expect ANOTHER QUERY

AZ
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 10:18 AM

oh no, not the quest for the "perfect trip".

Actually I'm very sympathetic to the idea of swapping trips round so as to be in the right place at the right time, but you do know that the perfect trip doesn't exist, don't you AZ?

Personally I'd like the beach after the cycling trip but possibly even the med wouldn't be warm enough for that in April.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Annhig--My thoughts EXACTLY.

1) Yep, I would like total down time for a day or two post a tour (if nothing else but to decompress after so much interaction), but temp averages aren't in favor of the beach. So I'd end up at a darn good resort hotel with some things in the area still not open, in a pretty run-down area, with a need to transport to the city center to get vittles.

But darn, the Easter procession stuff would be so EASY from there.

Airport, not so good. Sigh

2) We will have had two days--well, make that 1 1/2 days--at a beach hotel in Mallorca pre bike trip, and then we'll chill the night after the cycling trip waterside, too, with daughter and husband. So I won't be in total "let's see everything!" mode for most of the time.

3) Just because the perfect trip doesn't exist, which at age 61 I know for sure, does not mean one cannot quest after the impossible dream.

After all, I'm visiting the land of the Man of La Mancha

I'm sorry, I could NOT resist it.
Forgive me.
AZ
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 11:34 AM

nothing to forgive, AZ.

anyway, the advice to stay in central Valencia still applies i think, unless visiting in June-Spetember when somewhere near the beach might be nice.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM

[actually, thinking about it, we were there in the middle of May, and the beach was more or less deserted so definitely not the place to be in April].
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 12:40 PM

The location of the Sorolla Centro is perfect to me.
http://www.hotelsorolla.com/en/
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Oh well, we were in Valencia in mid November (2010) and, while the beach was deserted, we had perfect weather on all of our five days. Sunny and warm ... upto 25C during the day! We rented bicycles and cycled all over the city and the beach promenade.
Our hotel was Ad Hoc Monumental. Great location on the edge of the old barrio Carmen, close to Turia and 5 min. walk from a metro stop. Excellent service, too!
http://www.adhochoteles.com/en/hotel-ad-hoc-monumental/