Is Valencia, Spain a dump?

Oct 8th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Marnie

Is Valencia, Spain a dump?

My husband and I are considering a week's stay in Valencia, Spain with our RCI timeshare? Is this a nice place? We're thinking of a sidetrip or two to Barcelona or Madrid. Has anyone done this? We'd love some advice

Oct 8th, 2002, 07:44 PM
John G

I was in Valencia in 1999 and I liked it since it has that seaside Mediterranean feel about it. The beaches are a little dirty, however, but no more so than Sitges. However, I would MUCH rather stay in fantastic Barcelona and take a sidetrip to Valencia. I think Madrid is too far to do a sidetrip.

The best things about Valencia are the Cathedral and the market behind it, the beach, and orchetta (sp?), which is the famous non-alcoholic drink of Valencia.

Oct 8th, 2002, 09:18 PM
qwert

I’ve stayed in Valencia a couple of times on a short break, and would happily do so again. But whilst it is a city with many charms – I agree with the previous poster about the cathedral – it is also a little small and (in the nicest possible sense) a bit provincial. If that is what you want then it’s a great choice – otherwise a week might be too long.

You don’t say when you are going – every year in (I think) March Valencia hosts the “Fallas”. A huge weeklong festival of fireworks and pyrotechnics. Different neighbourhoods compete to create larger than life effigies of famous people. The winning effigy is preserved in a museum, and the rest are torched in an evening of street bonfires. Nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world.

There is also a village close to Valencia that has an annual fiesta where everyone takes to the streets and pelts each other with tomatoes.

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:30 PM
lincasanova

having lived here for many years, i would never call valencia a dump.. and if you haven´t been here for a couple of years you will be impressed with the new science center, and santiago calatrava´s unusual buildings in that area.
many wonderful restaurants.
what will be most disappointing in spain for you will be your time share, probably.
they are not as luxurious as the ones in the u.s., and where is this one in valencia?
nice beaches.. many with the european blue flag for cleanliness, fabulous central market.. one of the most beautiful ones in europe, most extensive historical quarters in eurpoe.. dozens of renovated convents, palatial homes converted into museums.. most are free..and one of the best art museums in spain.. after prado.. as far as important works go..
rice fields.. orange groves..
let yourself get lost in the old section.. you will enjoy it, and for people watching.. late late in evenings down caballeros street..

madrid and barcelona just 3/4 hours by train.
lots of castle day trips.. 1-2 hrs. by car all around the city.
good roads.
tourist offices very helpful..have fun.

Oct 15th, 2002, 05:54 PM
John G

Now why did I think Madrid was so far away from Valencia? Looking at a map, Madrid seems to be just as close to Valencia as Barcelona. Maybe it would be nice to take a side trip to Madrid afterall, Marnie.

Oct 16th, 2002, 02:55 PM
lincasanova

madrid and barcelona trips both would need to overnight... unless you went on first mornig train and back on last night one.. but they both would merit more than that really.

day trips from valencia beach wise wold be denia, javea, altea, moraira.
nice coast south of here.

halfway to barcelona you have peñiscola.

roman ruins outside vlc at sagunto.
boat ride on lake near rice fields called la albufera.

try HORCHATA and fartons in vlc.
and chocolate con churros somewhere.

have fun.

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:00 AM
steve

Lincasanova,

I lived in Valencia in 1997. Am currently living in Munich and have my flight and hotel reserved for Fallas 2003!

I haven't been back since I've left, so I am anxious to check out the new buildings and science center.

Off hand, do you know if the brilliant castillos will be every night of Fallas or only certain nights?

Thanks!

Dec 10th, 2002, 01:21 PM
lincasanova

i should know the exact answer to this. there is a website.. fallas.com, that will have the entire schedule of fireworks.
i believe there are three big nights.. and the last night is not really the best for fireworks, but it si the burning of teh effigies that reigns.

the 18th, and one or two previous nights are the important ones. really worth it.

Dec 11th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Steve

Thanks for the info!