Restaurant suggestions around Champs Elysees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the following hotel in Paris and have never been to Paris. We would love to know if anyone knows the area and can help with local restaurants and fun things to do in this area.

If you have any other words of wisdom that always helps!!

Hôtel du Rond Point des Champs-Elysées

10 rue de Ponthieu

75008 PARIS

Thank you,
Angie
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Chez Francis, Place de Alma,with view of Eiffel.

I know Kerouac posted a thread here on the price of coke at all of the eating places on CE.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM

For restaurants, you might get more responses if we have an idea of your budget.

As far as things to do, you are within easy access to many areas and sites and monuments.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Not too long ago I used points to stay the Marriott Champs-Elysees. One or two doors from it was one of the Paul chain of boulangeries/patisseries which was great for a morning pain au raisin or similar.

We found reasonable, good restaurants simply by diving down the side streets off the C.E. Some of the streets were quite posh but all seemed to have small bistros and some ethnic restaurants--I remember a Chinese and Middle Eastern, mid-range prices.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I like Paul and have been several times for lunch (sandwich and a sweet). I'm not so sure when I am in Paris that I would ever plan to go to CE to eat. Off into the sidestreets, possibly. I seem to eat a lot on the Left Bank or Marais.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Just in case you didn't know it, you can search for nearby restaurants by putting your address into google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Just enter the address: 10 Rue de Ponthieu, 75008 Paris, France. Once it has come up, use the function "search nearby" and type in restaurants. Not only will you get lots of listings, many of them will come with reviews from cityvox (mostly in French) or other sites, many in English. It gives you a starting point to search for things nearby. I am using it more and more when I go to new cities.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great advice. Any more suggestions are welcome and I am going to hit google right now!!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...mps-elyses.cfm
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM
tod

Angie- If you like Chinese food you may like to pop into Dragons Elysees at 11 Rue de Berri (just of Champs Elysees) near the Arc de Triomphe.
It is quite a large venue with a glass floor. Under the glass dozens of huge carp swim to and fro in their huge floor aquarium. The light from the turquoise blue water gives the restaurant an unusual appeal.
http://tinyurl.com/nt3evb
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM

I don't see why yu are confining yourself to the hotel area. CE is vey pricey and not that great in the way of bistros and restaurants. Transportation is so good in Paris you can go all over the city. As suggested above cityvox has good reviews . I also like http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com for booking and general overviews of some of the best Paris has to offer.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Could not agree more with Avalon in every way. The Champs is so far down on the places we go to when in Paris, it might as well be Le Havre.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
tod

I tend to agree with Avalon but at the end of a long day walking ones feet off, it is sometimes nicer to dine nearest to that lovely bed! - and not have to face the metro hobbling down & up long flights of steps before getting home.

Angie, I have one more absolutely divine place to have dinner (or lunch) on the Champs itself.
None other than Laduree! Reserve ( or go early 6.30pm) and get a table in the window downstairs. You can watch people scurrying home whilst you dine on the most delicious Foie Gras grilled to perfection followed by moist tender lamb that melts in the mouth. A glass of Chateauneuf-du-Pap will set you back around 8 euros, but hey! better than having to buy the whole bottle!
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Here's a list of restos near the CE and Arc

The menus with prices are given

http://www.bestrestaurantsparis.com/...-triomphe.html
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM

You may visit Lauduree at 75 Ave. Champs Elysees. Besides a sit down restaurant there are numerous spectacular pastries (including their macaroon cakes) available for take out.

I'd never describe the CE as uninteresting. There are world renowned landmarks on and just off its entire length, from the Arc in the west to the Tuilleries, and fountains at the Place de la Concorde in the east. The western end is commercial, but so is much of Paris or any city center.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM

I have been to Paris many times and I enjoyed a nice solo dinner in the Drugstore Publicis at 133 Champs Elyssee. Not a "drugstore" in the American sense, I have no idea why it is called that but I enjoyed the meal, people watching, browsing the all the French magazines and buying a few food treats to bring home for others. Pretty cool, pretty mod, not especially expensive. Here is the description from TimeOut Magazine: "A 1960s legend, Drugstore Publicis was clad with neon swirls by architect Michele Saee following a renovation in 2004; a glass-and-steel café stretches out on to the pavement. On the ground floor there's a newsagent, pharmacy, bookshop and upmarket deli full of quality olive oils and elegant biscuits. The basement is a macho take on Colette, keeping selected design items and lifestyle mags, and replacing high fashion with fine wines and a cigar cellar". (from www.timeout.com)
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I plan on eating in many other areas of Paris but as Tod mentioned some days/evenings we would like to be near our Hotel. Thank you Tod!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anyway, pay attention the price of cola, and it will guide you regarding the price of food.