Restaurant Reviews in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This review is a little belated, but I wanted to give back to the site and its readers, for all the great advice and recommendations that you all have given me. I was in Paris for 5 wonderful days over this past New Years Eve. It was the most fabulous trip you could imagine.

My focus here is on restaurants. We had some great dining experiences that I want to share.

1. L'Angle du Faubourg - Highly recommended. The setting is very modern, yet calm. They had a set seven course meal for New Years Eve, complete with flights of champagne. I can't recall all courses, but it started with a mushroom soup with bacon that was to die for. A cheese course with the most amazing brie and nut combination you could imagine. Finally a trio of desserts that was amazing. Seven courses, three glasses of champagne, and I could have had more of everything. Dinner took three hours, but it seemed like 20 minutes.

2. Le Relais de l'Entrecote - Highly recommended. How do I explain this place. Like dining chaos. The restaurant is crowded and frenzied. But as many folks on this site will tell you, the steak, frites, and house wine are to die for. I opens at 7. We arrived at 6:50 and had to wait about 1 hour lined up on the street corner. A pleasant experience though, as we chatted with some folks that happened to be from the same home town. What a small world!

3. Bofinger - Not my favorite. The service was a bit snippy. Atmosphere was very typical French Bistro style. I think we ordered wrong here. They were bringing out large seafood trays that looked wonderful. We opted to go for a sausage combo platter with saurkraut. What were we thinking. Regardless, I got the feeling that they were trying to free up our table. Not the greatest experience.

4. Citrus Etoile - My favorite - I found this one on my own, researching paris restaurant review sites. It's a newer restaurant. Words cannot describe our experience. It's a meal that we will be trying to repeat for the rest of our lives. Ingredients, preperations, and quality that you just don't see in the states. Service was amazing. They really made dining a magical experience. If they have the Scottish salmon on the menu, it's a must order. Raw, and it melts in your mouth. Great decor too.

Cheers and happy dining.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:56 AM
ira

Thanks for posting, L.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:08 AM

lesm,
Thanks for reporting back!

I hadn't ever heard of Citrus Etoile, but now I've added it to my list of places to try.

Here are the particulars, for anyone who's interested:

Citrus Etoile
6, rue Arsène Houssaye
Metro: Charles de Gaulle-Etoile
Tel: 01 42 89 15 51
Fax: 01 42 89 28 67
http://www.citrusetoile.fr/
Menu Découverte 90€
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Thank you for the nicely detailed reviews ... only wish you might have included overall cost for each, for us budget-minded travelers, deciding on occasional splurges.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:19 AM

scdreamer,
Googling works pretty well.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info, lesm. Can you give us an idea of cost for L'Angle, and how far ahead you had to reserve for NY Eve?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Approximate pricing (for 2 people, including appetizer, main course, dessert and 1 bottle of wine)

L'Angle du Faubourg - 300 Euros for a 7 course meal including a bottle of champagne

Le Relais de l'Entrecote - 70 euros

Bofinger - 75 euros

Citris Etoile - 160 euros
Their preset menu is very reasonable for the quality.

Iwan2go - We booked L'Angle du Faubourg about about 4 or 5 weeks in advance. Actually, with the exception of Le Relais de l'Entrecote (which doesn't accept reservations), all the restaurant reservations were booked by our hotels concierge. Hotel Napoleon was great!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM

lesm: Thanks for the reviews.

What was the "dress code" for Citrus Etoile?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM

lesm: And also...for Citrus Etoile...was it a comfortable place to sit? relaxing? have nice conversation? nice service?
Thanks again.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the timing and pricing info, lesm. We're going to Paris in Dec. 2008 and will be there for New Year's Eve. Eight of us. So I guess a few months out would be a good idea.

I'm getting hungry already.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Hi and thanks for posting. I think it is important that we share experience with each other and a summary like this can helps lots of other travelers It would also be great to get some price indication by the way. Here is my restaurant summary from Paris last year: http://gardkarlsen.com/eat_drink_Paris_France.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
ira

>What was the "dress code" for Citrus Etoile?

If the place has table cloths, you should at least wear a clean tee shirt and llong denims - not cut offs.

For 90E pp, I recommend formal wear: a white tee shirt without vulgar remarks.

Also, please turn your cell phone off.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Hi, Ira...

No need to assume that I come from the low rent district.

We travel with carry-on only and will be in Paris for only a few hours between flights. I am trying to figure out a way to work in an exceptional dinner in Paris for those few hours without schlepping more formal clothes for that one meal.

Besides, 90 Euros per person in Paris could mean 2 espressos. Ya never know.

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

To answer the questions about Citris Etoile...

The dress code is business casual I would say. It was winter, so we were both wearing slacks and sweaters, which was totally fine. It's not a pretensous scene at all, but still very hip.

The ambience and setting was great. It was not loud, great for conversation. Seating was very comfortable, art work was very interesting, and the service was top notch. We felt pampered with attention (but it wasn't overbearing).
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:18 AM

lesm: Thanks so much for this additional and helpful information.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I am leaving for Paris on Monday (9/10) and I have tried twice to email a reservation to Citrus Etoile through their website. They do not give you an email address. It has to be through the reservation section on the site as far as I saw. Also, I tried calling several times and the line would not work. I am in NY, so I dialed 011 33 01 and the rest of the number. Is that incorrect?

Anyway, my main question is when did you, lesm, make a reservation if you even did? Was it a month before, a day, etc? I am just thinking I will try when I get there since I have not heard back through email.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM

you don't use the 0 preceding the 1..
so it's 011 33 1 ....
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

We made the reservation at Citrus about 3 weeks ahead. But at that time, early January, it wasn't necessary. I would imagine at this time of year, it's a bit more crowded. But I would think if you arrived early (6:30) or late (10:00), you may have a good chance of getting a table without a reservation.

If you are staying at a decent hotel, you can always ask the concierge for help.