Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recs for Andalusia (Sevilla, Granada, Ronda, Puerto Sta. Maria, Cordoba)?

Search

Restaurant recs for Andalusia (Sevilla, Granada, Ronda, Puerto Sta. Maria, Cordoba)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
I'm going to Spain for 10 days next month and I'm looking for recommendations for restaurants, tapas bars, or interesting food markets for any of those towns or places in between. We'll be taking the train for the longer distances but will have a car for three days between Granada and Cordoba.
Recommendations for Madrid also welcome!

Thanks!

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM

In Cordoba, El Caballo Rojo, very near the Mezquita, does wonderful Arab-influenced Andalusian cuisine.

In Madrid, La Posada de la Villa in Old Madrid does traditional grilled meats very well.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
I will add those to my list!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM

In Sevilla you can consider one of the following for an outstanding meal:

Restaurante Egaña-Oriza, C/ San Fernando, 41 (http://www.restauranteoriza.com/)

Restanurante Robles - 3 locations (http://roblesrestaurantes.com/rr-e/index.htm)

Restaurnate Becerríta, C / Recaredo nš 9 - Puerta Carmona (http://www.restaurantebecerrita.com/)

Taberna del Alabardero de Sevilla, C / Zaragoza, 20 http://www.tabernadelalabardero.com/

One of the best in Ronda is:

Tragabuches (http://www.tragabuches.com/index.jsp)

In Córdoba try:

MESÓN RESTAURANTE EL ALJIBE
Cocina Cordobesa- Salón De Celebraciones.
Pza. Del Llano Del Castillo (En Pleno Barrio De La Villa) Priego De Cordoba (Cordoba)
Tlf: 957 701 856

There are a number of choices for Madrid, but a lot will depend on what you want to spend.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:49 PM

Hi

Seville: Good seafood in an atmospheric plaza in the Barrio Santa Cruz area - http://www.restaurantelacueva.net/.

Madrid: I loved the Alhambra tapas bar Victoria 9. On my return I found it was listed in the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/top/features/...tapasbars.html.

Granada: No specific restaurant advice. I recommend dining in the old quarter called Albaicin. My taxi driver pointed out one restaurant that does great rabbit. Sorry didn't get the restaurant name but just ask the driver for recommendations. By the way there is a really nice Moroccan style market there. Not food but interesting and magic when the sun's down.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Great recommendations everyone, thanks!

Keep them coming!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:21 AM
PJI

In El Puerto de Santa Maria have lunch at Casa Paco - downtown near the water right next to Romerijo. Don't eat at Romerijo even though every tourist does, its cheaper and better next door at Casa Paco. Have the fish tapa thats on the top of the menu (the special). I can't remember the name but its some type of fish rolled up into a pastry dough and fried - its SOOOO GOOD. Oh, and the clams in salsa. YUMMY.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:14 AM

In Granada I would suggest hopping between the Tapas bars because this is one of the last cities in Southern Spain where they give you really good, interesting and free tapas with every drink. Start at the the oldest Taberna close to the Plaza Nueva (can't remember the name but it should be in the guide books), and then just find others nearby. We found about 4 that had a fantastic atmospere, and we were full at the end of it without spending a penny on food (by the way i'm not a penny pincher, just like getting value for money!).
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

PJI-Thanks! I was in Pureto Santa Maria about 15 years ago and remember all the fish stalls but couldn't remember where we ate. I've also heard that Romerijo is very touristy.

Anna H-Thanks for the tip on Granada. I saw your other post on the Alhambra. Are you going to do a trip report? ;-)
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for ideas, particularly in Granada and Ronda.
In Granada will will be staying at the Hotel Guadalupe, near the Alhambra.
In Ronda we will be at the Hotel Jardin de la Muralla.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:14 AM

If you are staying so near the Alhambra, consider having a meal at the Parador di San Francisco. I had a lovely lunch there.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Granada: We stayed at the Parador & ate lunch & dinner there - yeah, I know - how boring. Dinner was very good & they have a good wine selection & of course, the view . . . Like all Paradors, you can choose a 3 course mix (your choice) or ala carte. I seem to remember 70 or 80 euros with a bottle of nice Rioja. The service was off the night we were there & the manager offered a free after dinner drink which we declined.

Sevilla: Bar Estrella - just a couple blocks from the catherdral & great tapas. No english though, so bring your translation book.

Ian
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM

In Sevilla, srongly recommend the restaurant at Hosteria del Laurel in Plaza de los Venerables at Barrio de Santa Cruz, they have small and larger portions, which is very convenient. Food was fantastic, their beef stew was divine, the bread pudding heavenly.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Poncio
http://www.ponciorestaurantes.com/
http://www.andalunet.com/poncio/
calle Victoria, 8
Triana, just off Pages del Corro

contemporary Andalusian - do the tasting menu

Salvador Rojo,
Calle San Fernando, 23
across from the Hotel Alfonso

contemporary Andalusian - do the tasting menu

Egana Oriza
San Fernando, 41
http://www.restauranteoriza.com/

updates of classical Andalusian
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:05 PM

Another vote for El Caballo Rojo in Cordoba--was excellent.

Also Restaurante Dona Pepa at Plaza del Socorro in Ronda.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

You all are awesome! I knew I could count on the Fodor's community.

I posted this same question at chowhound.com and got NO replies! Hmmmm...

I don't leave until mid-October, so keep them coming...
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:31 PM

Hi,
The Granada tapas bar Anna_H is referring to sounds like the Antigua Bodega Castañeda on Calle Elvira, at the foot of Plaza Nueva. There are another couple of good tapas bars further down calle Elvira, though I'm afraid I can't remember their names.

There's also a great flamenco/jazz bar near there, called Eshavira, on Postigo de la Cuna (between Elvira and Gran Via de Colon). If you want to hear/see some great flamenco then it's definitely a better bet than the flamenco shows put on for tourists in the Sacromonte district.

It's also worth taking a stroll up Calle Caldereria Nueva and stopping off in one of the Moorish tea houses, which offer an incredible selection of teas (try a maroqui - green tea with mint - or a pakistani - tea brewed with milk, sugar, cinnamon and other spices).

Cunini on Plaza de la Pescaderia (near the Cathedral) is one of the best restaurants in Granada (mainly fish/seafood, some great Andalusian specialities such as ajo blanco soup).

Personally I'm not a fan of the restaurant at the Parador. When in Granada I'd rather be down in the city strolling round, stopping off for a drink and tapas every now and then. I don't think that Granada's the greatest place for sit-down restaurants, but for tapas it's great.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:22 PM

Hanal

Yes, I looked it up and it was the Castaneda at c/Almiceros 1; a fantastic place, there was another called Bodegas La Mancha on Joaquín Costa 10 just around the corner. I like this way of eating much more than formal restaurants; I wish I was in one of them now!

Anna