Restaurant addresses/directions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many good folks here post great suggestions for enticing restaurants, but so often with no specific address or directions. What's an easy way to find the address of restaurants in Rome, Florence, and Venice or--better yet, given the labyrinth of streets in these cities--directions from key landmarks?
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Many restaurants have web sites. Search on the restaurant name.

For restaurants with no web site, many web sites have lists of restaurants with the addresses--once you have the address use a mapping web site like viamichelin.com. So if you're going to Rome, search on something like "Rome restaurants."
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:42 AM

In my recent trip report, Rome with Kids, I gave a long list of restaurants with street addresses (or the largo or piazza they were in). I had to go back and consult my notes for many of the addresses and I took the note of the addresses while we were in Rome because I knew I'd be writing a trip report. But when you're on vacation, many people don't take along a journal or plan on writing a trip report so many addresses are forgotten. I think that's fine; if you come across a great restaurant by all means share the name and it should be relatively easy to find its address either on the web or once you get to your destination.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Hi
If the restaurant is listed in a guidebook, or in a restaurant website, or for example, here at Fodor.com under
Destination/Rome/restaurants, you will find addresses
Once you are in Rome, hotel front desks have Pagine Gialle (yellow pages) and also your front desk clerk can help.
I think there is also a Pagine Gialle on line.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:35 AM
ira

Hi Linda,

You can find the pagine gialle for Florence in English at http://paginegialle.virgilio.it/pg/c...i?ts=1&l=2
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Linda,
If the restaurant is featured in the Michelin red guide books, you can find the address, email if it exists, phone, fax, even estimated price for a meal at www.viamichelin.com. In the red guides its location will be indicated on the city maps.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all and especially to Grinisa who did post great location information. I didn't mean to criticize folks who post restaurant recommendations without addresses; I just wanted to find a way to figure out where they are before I leave home. The restaurants I want to locate are largely pizzerias, gelaterias, and other very casual restaurants that wouldn't make it into the usual guidebooks. I'll try all the resources suggested!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM
rex

The website www.mappy.com works pretty well if you have an accurate address.

I just now tried La Taverna dei Mercanti, Piazza dei Mercanti, 3a - - as a test, and the map is very, very easy to follow, zoomable and it can be enlarged with one click to show more area at the same enlargement.

Best wishes,

Rex