Search

Reservations or not for Rome attractions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reservations or not for Rome attractions

Hello Fodorites,
We will be visiting Rome for four days in early May. While I was reading the forums about reservations for Rome attractions, an idea struck me and I hope someone can provide insights for this.
Except for the Scavi tour, is it too bold (or too crazy or just silly)not to make any reservations for attractions like the Vatican, the Borghese and just go and stand in line at 12pm. and still hope to be able to get in soon?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, goplan,

yes it is crazy. you can't just stand in line for the Borghese, it is bookings only. and there are lots of threads by people who have now managed to book ahead for the vatican. you can maximise you time by getting early booknigs- then you have the rest of th eday to yourself.

of course you might be lucky - but do you want to spend your short and valuable time waiting to see?

regards, ann

regards, ann
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ann,
I am just exploring all possible alternatives in making reservations.
You have a valid point there, thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hi goplan,

sorry, mea culpa, scusi. I just couldn't resist it when you said "am i crazy?".

seriously, there are some current rome trip reports about how well the pre-booked vatican tours have worked out - and how long the queues were when these trip-reporters arrrived there. also some less than enthusiastic reports of the Borghese too.

i am actually a bit of a non-planner, so I sympathise with you, but have been converted by other fodorites.

Regards, ann
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hi PlanB have followed your quest for Rome accom on Franco's thread, just wondered which apartment you booked and if you have had any troubles with sleepinitaly. We are visiting Rome in october and are looking at Via Giulia apartment or Rondanni. Thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:57 AM

To follow on from GoPlanB's question, I have been looking at the RomePass that lets you into the first three attraction free and the rest at a discount (or something) plus I think free public transportation. My question is: is it worth getting & can you get one in the States before you leave?
This relates to GoPlanB's question because I wonder if the pass gets you into places faster that waiting in line?
We're going in March/April.
thanx
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:42 AM

GoPlanB:

Annhig is absolutely right. Many places in Italy are absolutely reservations mandatory, like the Borghese (well worth it, BTW, awesome museum!) Nero's Golden Palace etc. You can probably just show up at the Vatican however, I am not sure about that. I have been 10 times probably but always had a reservations but there are so many thousands of people surely some of them just showed up.

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Hi nutz,

not sure about the ROMA pass because they introduced it after our trip.

to judge by some of the posts here, there can be problems getting it, especially if you try to buy it at the first of your "free" sights, if that is a popolar one like the colosseum.

Have you tried searching this forum for reports about it, or our old friend google?

or you could post a specific thread.

regards, ann

regard