Reservations online

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 06:29 AM
Charlotte

Reservations online

I posted a question in the section on France, but I would not mind some input for hotel reservations made online. I have used the site 180096hotel.com and was satisfied. I am planning to go to London and Paris in the summer and I am disappointed in their selections. Has anybody used an online reservation service that they thought was reputable and found the hotels just as they were described. Thanks for your time.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Ellen

I think Hotel Book and Hotel World are reliable. In case you are interested, I have forty one (41) different hotel reservation sites for France book marked in my favorites. Since I don't know how to do links in this forum, anyone wanting them would have to e-mail me directly! <BR>Ellen

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 06:01 AM
kristi

I have used www.travelocity.com several times with success. I just used them to book hotels in London and Paris. I also used www.expedia.com recently to book a hotel in Blois, France.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Lee

Charlotte: For our trip to Germany in May, I booked five people (three rooms) at five hotels by contacting all of the hotel websites directly. I hadn't used a "third party", opting instead to do it myself. <BR> <BR>Every one worked out great and also the printed confirmation served as our insurance against any mix up. Only needed one just once and it worked out OK. <BR> <BR>Booking online can be so much easier.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 09:56 AM
Yvonne

I used www.france.com in the autumn of 1997. They offered a good selection of hotels in Paris (we stayed at the Ferrandi). I would use them again, hopefully I'll have that opportunity soon.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 10:21 AM
martha pyton

www.france.com really let me down; it was annoying AND expensive. <BR>I second the suggestion to book directly through the hotel's own Web site, and if a hotel you want doesn't have a site, it's worth it to spring for the call.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 07:26 PM
vanessa

I was pleased with hotelboulevard.com. <BR>They got back to me right away, and described the room just as it looked. I would definitely use them again.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 08:50 PM
Diane

I also had excellent luck with <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:25 PM
Charlotte

Thanks for your input about booking online and websites that you used. Will probably book hotel online. <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 03:45 PM
Myer

Quite interestingly I've had good success with Best Western. The rates you get through them are at least as good as directly through the hotel if not better. <BR>We stayed at 3 star Hotel Left Bank on Rue Ancienne Commedie, just a few steps from famous Procope restaurant. Paid about 800 francs (about 120-130) all inclusive and breakfast. Great location.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 02:12 PM
Christina

I have no personal experience on this one as I book directly by FAX to hotels I know, but have a couple suggestions. Best Western is good if they have something you like--there is an 800 US number, English speaking so no confusion, they can let you know if a room is available and all price ranges, they have a wide variety of good hotels throughout Paris in 3-4 star range, I think. Their quality is pretty good, also, they have fairly good standards for their members in Europe in my experience, I've stayed in several (a good choice if you don't know where else to stay and just want something decent without a lot of research or trouble). I've heard good things about www.webscapades.com, but haven't used it myself. They do have a good, but small, selection of Parisian hotels. Finally, you should not have to call a hotel for a reservation regardless; virtually any 2+ star hotel should have a FAX number, which is much better than calling. First, there is less confusion and wasting of time when things are written down, and it's cheaper as that saves time and if you have computer FAX software (as I do, WINFAX) you can set the timer so it's sent in the middle of night when phone rates are low in US but it's late morning or so in Paris. FAXes usually take a minute or so to send, at least on my machine, so cost only a dollar or two.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 02:35 PM
steve

Agree that web sites of individual hotels can be good, too. Had excellent success with hotels found on various French travel web sites for a May-99 trip to S.E. France. The ones with pictures, maps, links to hotel's own web site, etc. seemed to be slightly better than those w/just listings of cities, hotels, and phone/fax numbers. <BR> <BR>Caution: If you have a fax at home that rings on a home phone line (not just a PC), do NOT give it to the hotel. Many will confirm your fax reservation w/another fax -- often in the middle of the night in the U.S.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 03:25 PM
Lori

I too have used Best Western, it is just easier than anything else, sometimes there is "too much info" out there with the Web etc., it gets downright confusing. Just call their 800 number - can't be easier. They have a pretty good selection of hotels, particularly in Paris (have not used them in London, altho we used them for other parts of England) and the ones we stayed at were fine. Most were small (25-35 rooms) but all were quite nice.

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 01:41 PM
Christina

oh, BTW, I do know a very good Best Western-affiliated hotel in London, the Mornington Lancaster. It's small, has an excellent location near a tube stop and within walking distance of Kensington gardens/Hyde Park and also near some good ethnic restaurants (Indian, Italian) in the Bayswater area and near the Swan's Head, a good pub. It's run by Swedes, actually, is very clean and comfortable (duvets on the bed due to Swedish influence, I think) and they have a good buffet breakfast. Plus, it's not right on the main road that runs along the top of Hyde Park, it's just one street back of that, so it's pretty quiet also. Well, I haven't stayed there in quite a few years, so I'm not sure they are BW-affiliated any more, but used to be.