Reservations necessary?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reservations necessary?

We have reservations for nights in Brussels and Gent and an overall sense of SOME of the things we'd like to see and do with rental car, but have not made hotel/B&B reservations for the next four nights, only the final one before flying home again. We've been pretty confident about this relaxed plan, but I just read a posting on (gasp!) Rick Steves site wherein a woman said she blew the budget by taking that approach. I should say the nights in question will be first week in April, all weekdays. Thoughts, anyone?

And BTW, you guys are all amazing and inspiring spirits!

Sue
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM

The first week in April is the week between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday which is a school holiday a lot of places and people may be travelling.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi V,

I think that you want reservations in advance, if there are any.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Greetings fellow Sue.

I have a friend who quite cheerfully slept in her rental car, the night she couldn't find a hotel room. She is willing to take this risk in exchange for the freedom of not being tied down to reservations.

So, the answer depends on your attitude towards risk management.

As lovisa has already pointed out, Easter falls in the first week of April this year. You can choose to: Make reservations; add extra money to the budget; or get a comfortable rental car.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Agree; the first two weeks in April are Easter holidays in Belgium; lots of people travel; I don't know where you are planning to go, but just to give you an idea; I just read that Saturday March 30 is going to be the busiest day of the year at Brussels airport.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, I'm so glad I asked! I've been thinking all along that since we land the 29th and return on Holy Saturday, that we'd be ahead of the crowd.

I appreciate your advice and will begin nailing down where we want to go and stay during the 'free spirit times' with darling husband immediately! We think we're adventursome but sleeping in the Opel isn't quite what it was 40 years ago

Thanks so much.