Reservations for "David?"

Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Reservations for "David?"

My trip to Florence is just 10 days away. I already booked reservations for the Uffizi and the Accademia. However I read that it's necessary to get reservations for the David itself.

Can anyone verify this? If so, how does one make this reservation?

David is why I'm going to the Accademia and I don't want to miss out.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM

I have never heard that Euro. I have seen David more than once so didn't the last time I was in Florence but I have never seen anyone here on Fodor's state that a separate reservation had to be made to view David. Where did you read that?
Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM

Accademia = David. Most visitors don't look at anything else. No way can there be separate reservations.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM

Michelangelo's statue of David is standing in the middle of an interior room in the dell'Accademia for all visitors to enjoy.

Perhaps the O.P. is referring to a private tour like this one where the museum is incorporated:

Try This Great Private Tour- Insight into the Genius of Michelangelo-Private Tour. With your own private guide, we follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo, a difficult and miserly genius who died a multi-millionaire. One of the greatest art patrons of the Renaissance-Lorenzo the Magnificent carefully fostered the artistic genius of Michelangelo, taking the 15 year-old artist into the Medici family palace so that he could control closely the young Michelangelo's education -both artistic and social. We see Michelangelo's boyhood home, his tomb in the church of Santa Croce, his last work in the museum Opera del Duomo, then onto the home of Michelangelo and his patron Lorenzo the Magnificent, and finally to see his masterpieces in the Academia Museum. Places we visit on the tour:Michelangelo's home Church of Santa Croce Medici Palace courtyard, Museo del Opera del Duomo The Academia-the David and Slaves Note: This tour is not available on Mondays. Please note this tour allows for minmum of one and a maximum of 6 persons in your party. In addition this tour involves entrance fees to sites included in tour of 33.00 euro per person payable on arrival. Length 3 hours. Cost is 250 euro for up to six persons for a three hour tour. Above six persons email us directly for a price.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM

Euro,

I was in Florence a month ago and made a reservation for Accademia. No separate reservation needed for David. BTW, he's looking even more magnificent now that he's been clenaed up!
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:25 AM

Euro, when I was in Florence the B.B. made reservations for both the Academia Uffizi and David.Were there in Oct. and even with the res. the line was very long for David 2+ hours long.How one goes about getting a resevation is beyond me, but if Ira reads this he will help. Have a safe wonderful trip.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:46 AM
MaureenB

Our reservation for the Accademia was no problem. We went in after about a 10 minute wait. No separate reservation needed for the Michelangelo David. Enjoy Florence!

(Try this restaurant for a fun Italian dinner experience: "That evening, my daughter recommended one of her favorite restaurants, the Trattoria Garga on Via del Moro 48/R, phone 055 2398898. We had an amazing meal there, probably my best in Italy. My dish was veal with avocado, which sounds odd (most really good dishes do, I think), and was mouth-watering. Our waiter was a riot-- singing and joking all over the restaurant. It was a friendly, lively, bustling atmosphere with excellent food. We paid 81EUR for two, with a half-liter of house wine.")
>-

Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Two hours wait with a reservations? How can that be?

There are two lines at Accademia. If you face the main entrance, the one to the right (going south from the door) is for those without. The one to the left (going north) should have only a few people in it, already with reservations.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Neopolitan

The only way I can imagine waiting 2 hours in the street to get into the Accademia to see David if you have a reservation, is if you get to the Accademia 2 hours before it opens! Or to get into the wrong line.

Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for putting my mind at ease everyone. I had read it on another traveler forum and I was just covering my bases. Maybe that author was referring to the Accademia itself and I just misinterpretted it.

Thanks again!