Reload this Page >

Research trip to France July 28-Aug. 12

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Betty

On July 28 I will be leaving for France, visiting Paris, the Loire <BR>Valley, Dordogne, and Provence. The main purpose of my trip is to <BR>check on hotels and B&B's (Paris, Loire, Dordogne) and houses for <BR>rent (Provence) that might be appropriate for a large group (10-15)<BR>that I will be accompanying to France in early June 2003.<BR><BR>In Paris I will be staying at the Hotel Muguet (July 29 & 30) and the Hotel Residence Monge (Aug. 10 & 11). I also want to take a look at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. I think that one of those will be fine for my group next June. Comments?<BR><BR>In the Loire Valley I am staying at the Hotel Blason in Amboise (July 31). I want to take a look at the Chateau de Montgoger 25 km. south of Tours (rooms from E 70 for a single to E 112 for a suite) as a possibility for my group. I couldn’t stay here on my research trip because they are closed the last 2 weeks of July, so I will try to visit as I am leaving on Aug. 1. Does anyone know this chateau-hotel or know of another one in the area in about the same price range that I might consider for my group?<BR><BR>I will then drive to the Dordogne area and spend 2 nights (Aug. 1 & 2) at a B&B called Le Jaonnet near Gourdon. I would like to have my group stay here for 3 nights next June but they only have 5 rooms, so I may have to find a larger place or another B&B nearby and split my group if we are more than 10. Double rooms here on the demi-pension plan are E 86 to E 92. Anyone stayed here? Other suggestions?<BR><BR>Finally, I will be spending a week (Aug. 3-10) in the Luberon area (La Tour d'Aigues) and hope to visit a number of properties that I have found on the Internet. I will need to look at very large houses (5-7 bedrooms) or two smaller <BR>houses close to each other that we could rent. I have set a budget of <BR>$250 per person (double occupancy) for the week in Provence so some <BR>of the very luxurious large houses will be beyond our budget. This <BR>means a limit of approx. $500 per bedroom. I would like to have a <BR>pool if possible. Has anyone rented (or does anyone know of) houses in <BR>this area that I should check out that might be appropriate for my <BR>group? A website, address and/or tel. no. would be appreciated.<BR><BR><BR>Also, what towns or villages do you find most interesting or <BR>attractive? (I was in the Luberon 2 years ago and am familiar with <BR>Apt, Roussillon, Gordes, Bonnieux, Menerbes, Saignon, Caseneuve and <BR>Lourmarin.) With the group I hope to do day trips to Avignon, Arles, <BR>Aix-en-Provence, St. Remy (Glanum), Les Baux, Orange, the Pont du Gard, the <BR>Camargue and perhaps Cassis. Any other suggestions? <BR><BR>How about good moderately priced ($30 pp or less) restaurants? <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Betty

I guess I was too long-winded for a single post! Here's the rest.<BR><BR>I am excited about my "research" trip to France. It was fairly spur-<BR>of-the-moment and this is the first time I will be traveling alone <BR>for 2 whole weeks, but I think I will enjoy that. I'm sure that I <BR>will feel much more at ease taking a group to France if I have <BR>already seen the places we will be staying. I will be sure to post a <BR>report when I return. If anyone here plans to be where I will be during this trip, especially in the Luberon area, I would love to meet somewhere for a drink. I may be getting a little lonely by that time! You can e-mail me if you like at the above address, but substitute “charter.net” for “home.com”<BR><BR>I know that I am asking for a lot of info but feel free to comment on any part or all of it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Betty

Sorry, I now see that I have double-posted,although the first one didn't seem to go through. Just let this one sink!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Carol

Hi Betty:<BR><BR>I can comment on the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. We love this hotel and you can read about it on our website at:<BR>www.davidandcarol.com (our 2001 trip)<BR><BR>However, depending on the ages and physical condition of the people with whom you're traveling - the hotel is up a slight hill from the metro and is a bit of a hike. I know this would be difficult for my parents who are in their 70s. And there is no air conditioning at the hotel which could be a problem in June.<BR><BR>Those are two things to consider but we will probably always stay at this hotel given the chance. If you want more information, please feel free to email me.<BR><BR>Carol

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Use the search on my homepage at .........<BR><BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>Peter<BR>