Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting an automatic car in France? Help!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Chantal

Greetings,

I will be in the South of France in September and am struggling to find a way to rent an automatic car (I've never driven a standard before, don't really want to try in France!). I was in France two years ago and the rental company (Budget) looked at us funny when we asked for an automatic car. We had asked for an automatic car when we made the reservation through the travel agency but no luck. We ended up with a standard and luckily for us someone in our group was able to drive it. Any suggestions on how to get an automatic car for sure?

Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:19 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

www.autoeurope.com !

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Anthony

We travel to Provence each year. I require an automatic even though I learned on a standard shift years ago.

There are many little round-a-bouts that require constant shifting in southern France.

If you rent a car in a larger city (Nice, Avignon) I would advise using Hertz. They will guarantee an automatic. Also request that you do not get an oversize car like a Mercedes. They may offer it as the same price as a compact but big cars are miserable to maneuver in small village streets, find parking for. For the two of us I always ask for a Peugeot 306 or comparable.

Good luck!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Christina

I rented through Autoeurope in Provence and the agent was Europcar. They had no problem renting me an automatic transmission car. It was rather nice, an Alfa Romeo, which was a compact and got very good mileage (it had AC also). Nobody looked at me weird. I normally drive an automatic and am out of practice with a std, but when on vacation in a strange country and driving on winding, narrow roads, I would have wanted one anyway, as I think it would be a lot more pleasurable and safer. My only advice( because it took a while for me to figure out) is that the automatic was not fully automatic as we buy in the USA--you did not need to use a clutch (which is the tricky part) but you had to still shift it by hand when you wanted to change gears. I don't know about other types of cars, but that's the way this Alfa Romeo was.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Christina

oh, I forgot to mention that you will usually have a much better selection of cars and it is easier to get an AT in a larger city. I rented in Marseille for that reason.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Chantal

Thank you all very much for your replies. I'll start researching in Marseilles as this is our first stop.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:14 PM
fran

At Avis automatics are called "F class" which they have or can have at most locations when reserved in advance. I just reserved a Renault Xenic for 10 day at a cost of $530 (with all extras and 2 drivers). Picking up at Rennes, dropping at Vannes.