COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rescheduling trip to Paris; Need advice

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Renee

Rescheduling trip to Paris; Need advice

Hi All,
Due to financial and scheduling constraints, my adult daughter and I have decided to postpone our Paris trip from Feb. 28-March 9, 2002.

It has nothing to do with the Sept. 11th tragedy...although, we prefer not to live in intimidation. We were thinking that it may be too cold to visit during that time of year anyway, so after reviewing my daughter's college schedule, we are now able to go anytime b/t May 8 and August 21. We've pretty much ruled out August because we've heard that the Parisians go on holiday during that time of year.

What's the best time to visit Paris within those time constraints....we plan to visit Giverny, but other than that we will stay around the metro area for those 9/10 days.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Renee from Atlanta, GA USA

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:27 AM
Bob Brown

My vote for visiting Paris during the time you discuss is late May - early June. The weather should be much better by then, although Paris can be rainy at almost any time.
My first visit to Paris was in April.
April in Paris was miserable, weather wise.
On our last 2 visits to Paris, we went in the first week of September. Unfortunately, hotel prices are at their peak in September because of all the exhibitions and trade shows that take place at that time of year.

I suggest making your hotel reservations early so you can get what you want.
There are about as many opinions on hotels in Paris as there are hotels.
I found one I like, but the location is probably not for everyone.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:36 PM
Christina

I don't think there is any one best time, it depends on your personal preferences in a lot of ways.July is obviously likely to be hotter (on average, not always true, not true last year when I was there) and have more tourists than May or June. However, I like to go in July because I like having a vacation in midsummer and because N. Europe is so much more pleasant weather-wise than where I live (Wash DC), so I go then to escape US, partly. Also, I don't do many of the typical tourist things so the tourist crowds don't bother me much; last July I did want to go to the Orsay as it was raining a lot, so I just got a one-day museum pass so I could go in right away without waiting in the one-block line. Also, I enjoy that it stays light so late at night in July (although it will in June also, obviously, as the longest day of year is in that month), that is important to me but might not be to others. If I could choose any time without considering weather in my home city, I'd probably go in June. Also, you'll save on airfare if you go in May up until maybe first week in June when air fares go down, that would be a big factor to me if you had no other preferences.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:37 PM
Christina

uh, obviously I meant in June when airfares go UP for the summer, check on the airline you want, that date varies somewhat but is usually somewhere between June 1-15.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:15 PM
Diane

Our first trip to Paris was at the end of May (in 1998...oh, so long ago!) and the weather was wonderful. Giverny was outstanding. I think it rained once over 9 days. We're going back next April (the last week) even though I've heard from many folks that April in Paris is usually chilly, gray and wet. I didn't have 100,000 miles for the ticket that we'd need to go in May, but did have 80,000 for April tickets. It's USAirways, so I'm trying to fly them for all my domestic trips to keep them in business in the meantime.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:54 AM
carol

Late May-early June is my favorite time to visit Paris--the weather is generally in the high 60s-70s. French schools don't close until the end of June, including universities, so the tourist population is controlled a bit, also.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:31 PM
joe

we spent august 28-29-30&31 in paris before going to germany and another 5 days in sept[not by choice]we found much to our surprise everyone was very friendly and helpful.the fact that most parisians leave in aug is not a bad thing.unless you plan to eat in only 2 or 3 star places. you will find most resturants open and less traffic.the weather was great with some but not much rain.