COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Salzburg

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:43 AM
Kendra

Salzburg

Trying to decide whether to go to Salzburg on a day-trip from Munich or to stay there overnight. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:22 AM
lili

Salzburg is quite beautiful at night ... if you're going anyway, might as well spend the night

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:42 AM
ellen

Yes, stay the night. There are concerts just about every evening. There's enough to see and do that an overnight stay is worthwhile.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
Bob Brown

I have visited Salzburg 3 times and each time I found something to do for more than a day.
In addition to the normal attractions around the old part of the city on the left bank of the Salzach, Mirabell Gardens are on the right side.
South of town toward the suburb of Grödig lies Schloss Heilbrunn, which is a fun place to visit. The Untersberg is a cable ride from near Grödig and takes you to views that are worth seeing.
If you have a car, suggest that you visit St. Gilgen and Mondsee, plus some other places.
The one activity that I do not recommend is the Sound of Music tour. I took it and felt cheated, royally cheated.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:23 AM
xxx

Yes, you have to see the fortress lit at night!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:27 PM
Anna

Spend the night and go to the Augustiner Beer Hall/Garden!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 07:14 PM
travelman

Kendra. On my recent(sept.) visit to Salzburg it became painfully obvious what a gigantic tourist trap it is.The town itself has nothing to offer exept for the old town across the river
where you will be drowning in bus tours and mozart mementos.I mean elbow to elbow.Visit for a few hours ,but dont waste a day.I hope iam not the only one totally underwhelmed .Travelman

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:34 PM
Sandy

Salzburg in the summer(including Sept) is normally overcrowded with elbow to elbow tourists, BUT it really is WORTH A STAY to appreciate it after the busloads of tourists leave. Visit Salzburg during the other seasons, then you will enjoy the oldtown atmosphere with baroque architecture thoroughly. I can understand why Travelman was underwhelmed when he could barely see anything but wall to wall elbows in those narrow alleys.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:17 PM
xxx

So true about the busloads of tourists crammed into the small Old Town. Just realize it and work around it.

Take the fortress tour first thing in the morning. Visit St. Peter's Cemetery while you wait for the for fortress tram to open. It's deserted in the early morning. Go to Mirabell Palace, take a hike, spend the day quaffing a few at the Augustiner, anything to remove yourself from the city center during peak tourist hours. Around 3 or 4 pm, you will have the town to yourself again, and it's magical.