RER to CDG early A.M. - alone!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to meet my mother and sister at CDG early on a Saturday morning in a few weeks which means I would have to catch the RER around 5:30 in the morning alone. Would it be wiser for a single woman to take a taxi at that hour?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM

wondering... what happens when you meet them at the airport? that is, are you all coming back to Paris? by what transport mode? any reason they shouldn't take a taxi into Paris and meet you at hotel/apartment?

I haven't ridden the RER that early but also haven't heard any reason that it wouldn't be safe. You can reduce the number of stops by choosing the 'express' trains that are direct between G.du Nord / CDG.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:42 AM

I've taken the RER early had no problems, and I didn't feel uneasy. Obviously use common sense as you would early in the am in any large city. Enjoy Paris!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM

I would second Margo's statment about safety as a solo woman on the RER. If you can take an express all the better. Deborah
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The RER going to the airport at 5:30 a.m. is full of airport workers. If you are not afraid of them at the airport, you should not be afraid of them on the RER.

The first non stop train of the day isn't until 9:30 a.m.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM

My husband and I have taken the RER that early and I would have been comfortable alone....until....we realized we were on the wrong train and ended up in a not-so-nice looking surburban area where we had to get off and go back into the city in order to get on the correct train.

So, my advice is to just be sure that you are on the correct train to CDG. I saw later on that we weren't the only ones to make the same mistake.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:20 AM

yes, definitely look before you leap that happened to my husband and me. I told him to hop on, he wanted to wait to double check, we didn't wait and of course it was the wrong train just another thing he can tease me about Deborah
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM

To avoid that mistake, be sure to watch the signage above the quai. The next train will only stop at the locations that are 'lit up' on the sign. The B-line has a 'split end' so some trains go to CDG but others go to a different endpoint.
It is helpful to go to www.ratp.fr and get the timetable .pdf file, found under "horaires". You can make a note which trains go to CDG, are express to CDG, or do not go to CDG.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Just so that nobody feels stupid, I will admit that I took the wrong train one time myself -- but it was because the signs were out of order at Gare du Nord and they were making contradictory announcements (not that any person who couldn't speak French would have known that). When I realized that I was on the wrong branch of the line and went back to Aulnay-sous-Bois to get in the right direction, I became totally confused in the underground connection passages and none of the signs made any sense. Naturally there was nobody to ask. I ended up exiting the station and buying a new ticket to CDG just to be able to get to the right platform as fast as possible. I could see that there were video screens over the entrance turnstiles that I couldn't see from the inside, and I was beginning to freak out in terms of check-in time and couldn't think straight anymore. It was right out of one of those nightmares about going to the airport for a major trip and realizing that you left your passport, ticket, baggage and/or children at home... So even though I have lived more than half of my life in Paris, it can happen to anyone!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Timetables here:

http://www.transilien.com/web/site/lang/en
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Make sure you know which terminal to get off at. I was flying with BMI and the rest of family were flying with BA. I assumed it was the same terminal but luckily a fellow passenger on the RER overheard us and pointed out my error. I had then to take a bus as the train doesn't actually stop at the terminal. Otherwise felt perfectly safe.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I've taken the Roissybus from Opéra early in the morning a few times - it's usually really quick as there's little traffic. Comfier than the RER too, IMO. And less stressful for a lone woman (had a terrifying experience when travelling alone on the RER C once, that I wouldn't ever care to repeat).
The first Roissybus leaves at 5.45 am.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I decided to take a taxi because we will need a taxi back. If I take the Roissybus and it is even a teeny bit late my mother will freak out. Since I've been to Paris a lot and have taken the train to CDG in the middle of the day to meet people I've never gone first thing in the morning.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to say thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:14 AM

If you are taking a taxi out to the airport, I doubt you'd want to have the driver wait until you pick up your mother and sister. Baggage service at CDG is terribly slow ... they may not exit from the customs area until 30 or 40 minutes after the plane lands, maybe later ... and in the meantime the taxi meter will be running.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM

They got all the way to Europe and can't manage getting on the train to town?

How about meeting them at the nearest RER station to your hotel?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM

You will not be taking the same taxi back, so I don't understand your reasoning. The taxi drop off area and the taxi pick up area are not the same in any case.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Can your Mom & sister grab a cab at the airport and have it drop them off to meet you at a predetermined spot in Paris?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

I asked about ME taking the RER early in the morning, not about my mother and sister needing to find transportation. And no, I am not going to have the taxi wait.

My mother is 76 years old, has never flown out of the US, has never visited me in the 8 years that I have lived over here and I am going to meet them at the airport. If you want to have your 76 year old mother not be greeted when she arrives, fine, but that is not what I asked.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM

You go girl!

Woody

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -