Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Request Itinerary Advice for Traveling to Italy in June with Teens

Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

I am helping new poster, lsand, by reposting this with a better title.

Author: lsand
Date: 09/01/2006, 05:49 pm
My family is planning a two week trip to Italy either late June or early July and will be accompanied by our 15 and 17 year old sons. We plan to fly into Milan and leave from Rome. One possibility would be to rent a villa in the Tuscany area for a week (found some cooking and pottery classes) along with a car. Then we would take a train to Rome. Any suggestions on what sights to see with two teenagers?? Or other lodging/areas to visit??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: fun4all4 ([email protected])
Date: 09/01/2006, 06:25 pm
HI!

We took our 12 and 15 year old sons to Switzerland and Northern Italy this past June. It was awesome and we were so glad to be independent (I saw your other post about a tour). You can do it! Some of the "big sights" allow you to make reservations ahead which will help you avoid many of the long lines.

What are the interests of your sons so we can give some suggestions? ie. sports, architecture, music, cooking, history, etc.....

Our family finds it works well to alternate time spent in big cities like Milan or Rome with time in more rural areas (for example, we hiked in the Swiss Alps and swam in Lake Garda). Some families prefer to hit the big cities. Some people love a villa and enjoy cooking on vacation, others prefer restaurants.

Tell us a bit more and I'm sure you will get lots of ideas.

If you are interested, some trip reports from families traveling with teens recently have come from me (link below), the Go family, jgg, kswl, missypie, Dina4, MRand, and many others. Try a search.

Here is mine:
http://tinyurl.com/oh6e8

You certainly won't want to do everything like everyone else, but reading may help you hone in on some teen travel style stuff and what might work best for your family. We tend to be very selective in choosing a few museums/churches and then do some less common tourist stuff based on our interests (like going on a rock n'roll tour and attending football match in London).

Have fun planning and happy travels!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 09/02/2006, 03:06 am
I also forgot to suggest kwren's recent report about travel with teens although she did not go to Italy.

Author: rex ([email protected])
Date: 09/02/2006, 07:31 am
Please see my reply on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34832802

Best wishes,

Rex

Date: 09/02/2006, 08:54 am
Yes, rex is correct that you will get more responses and better information if you give a more detailed header.

Something like: Itinerary Advice for Traveling to Italy in June with Teens

Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hi isand - My teenage son (he was 14 at the time) and I took a tour of Italian cities - Rome, Venice, Florence, Pisa - in 2003. When I travel with him, whether independently or on a tour, I always try to mix it up and find things that are not along the lines of the normal tourist stops. Let me share a few extra things we did in and from Rome that he (and I!) enjoyed.

Pompeii

Police Museum in Rome - great for torture devices!
http://www.initaly.com/regions/museums/michael.htm

The Crypt of the Capuchins, via Veneto 27. It's a bit grusome to think about artwork made of bones, but he/we liked it!

Pasta Museum - just for something different, but my son had just learned to make his own pasta.

Time Elevator: perfect for your first day in Rome - it's a movie about Rome's past. This might not be the best website, but it will get you started. We didn't take a tour, just walked to the theater, and bought tickets at the door.
http://www.time-elevator.it/en/index.htm

Hope this helps!
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM

I'm an utter failure at posting links to my threads, but if you click on my name and go to mid-June of this year, you will find several from our trip to Italy with kids ages 15, 13 and 10.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM

I think your idea of a villa in Tuscany is a good one. Get a place with a pool; it is very hot in June and July.

I also think cooking and pottery classes would be a lot of fun for families.

Sights: It would be best to pick your location in Tuscany first. Decide on where you are staying or taking classes, then it will be much easier to direct you to specific sights.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
MaureenB

I don't think my 15 and 17 year olds would have appreciated the serenity of a villa in Tuscany for a whole week (or being anywhere near your cooking and pottery classes-- 'dude, really...'). Sounds great to me, but I'm a tad bit older than 17. Into Milan and out of Rome is a great plan, though.