Italy itinerary with 9 year old

Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Italy itinerary with 9 year old

We are going back to Italy this summer with our 9 year old daughter in tow; we have FF tickets into Venice and out of Rome and my rough itinerary is mapped out as 4 nights in Venice; train from Venice to Florence (minimal sightseeing in Florence, big birthday for Mom so some shopping), then pick up car for 5 days in Tuscany with either hotel or villa with pool; then drive to Rome and home.

Make sense? Not? Suggestions? We have been on adult vacations to Italy before and drove in Tuscany so we are (relatively) comfortable with that part.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance!

Mary in D.C.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM

How many days in Rome? If your daughter have never been to Rome, you HAVE got to spend some time there; she willl learn more in two hours in Rome than a whole week of Roman history back in school at home.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

good point about Rome, maybe one less day in Tuscany?

thanks,

Mary
Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM

Were you not going to spend any time in Rome and now planning on just one day? My girls (now 14 and 11) love Rome and have been going to Italy since they were 7 and 4. They enjoyed Venice, but I don't know if they would for four days. Are you spending any nights in Florence or is just a daytrip for shopping? I guess we need to know exactly how many nights you do have. If it's only the nine, then I wouldn't rush to see Rome in one day or even two (assuming you take a day off both Venice and Tuscany). As for Tuscany, my girls enjoyed visiting San Gimignano (go to Torture Museum) and of course Pisa. They also loved Lucca. You can rent bikes and ride around the top of the walls. What they most remember is coming back to the villa after a long day of sightseeing and swimming in the pool, so you are on the right track there.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Grinisa, I rushed my question out on the board so you are right to question me! We have 11 days. While this is a family trip, our favorite place in the world is Venice so I was selfishly taking 4 days there and leaving Rome for one day--I know, I know. I think San Gimignano is where we will head (I didn't want to get blasted about how touristy it is--I know that), but friends just took younger kids (and like your girls), it was just their speed.

I wasn't particularly interested in spending the night in Florence--we've done that and I think the sights there--with the exception of David--wouldn't be of great interest to my daughter.

I am sure the pool will be a major highlight!!

As you can see I am at the very beginning of planning so I appreciate all thoughts!

Mary
Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM

I am going to the northern half of Italy this summer with my 9 year old daughter (and her 11 year old brother). Two years ago when we travelled to the south of France I followed some useful destination tips from the following website:
http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Italy/italy.htm

They have book recommendations as well.

Have fun!
Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM

We'll be in Venice early March for 5 nights with our 8 yr old daughter and can't wait. I just bought this tiny notebook that looks like it will be lots of fun to do with her and will add to the fun of Venice. Search Amazon for Kids Go Europe Treasure Hunt Venice.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Go-Europe.../dp/0977269906