Reload this Page >

Renting car in Italy

Search

Renting car in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Paul

Renting car in Italy

Does anyone have any suggestions for car rentals in Rome/Tuscany? In particular, has anyone used the "auto europe" site? Any suggestions welcome. We're looking to rent in Rome, hopefully in the city itself, and return at the airport. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Rex

You'll find dozens, maybe even hundreds of reports of people who have used www.autoeurope.com - - and 98% of them are glowing. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:49 AM
rich

Hi Paul, <BR>I've rented three times a car through this operator: [email protected] <BR>Always precise.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Russell

Paul, <BR>I've used Auto Europe 8 or 10 times and recommend them highly. They are brokers for the major companies and usually can beat prices you get elsewhere. Plus they often offer upgrades or discounts for advance bookings. You should be aware that rentals in Italy and quite expensive since insurance is mandatory. Also, Rome is a tricky place to drive, so unless the rental is for excursions outside the city, you may want to rethink your plan to drive in the city.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Paul

Thanks all. <BR>Russell: I have driven in Rome, and have the scars (mental, fortunately) to prove it, so I know what you mean. I live and drive in Manhattan, but that did not prepare me for Rome. Although I have found that driving in Italy outside of Rome was not so bad as I'd been made to expect. Quite enjoayable actually. Anyway: We're actually staying in Rome for a few days, and THEN picking up the car to drive in Tuscany. <BR> <BR>Anyway, thanks. I was hoping to get some positive feedback on auto europe since it seems pretty convenient.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Mike

I have rented three times in Italy and I have found that Kemwel or Europcar have always had a better price when everything was included (taxes, insurance and etc.) <BR> <BR>Also, a little tip, if you rent from the airport you are subject to an additional 10% (I think) tax that does not apply at city rental sites. So we flew into Florence then took a cab into town to the Europcar rental site and saved a significant amount of money - we were renting a minivan for 2 weeks. <BR> <BR>Alos, have used Europcar when it was cheaper than Kemwel.