sunday in rome

Aug 30th, 2001, 07:38 AM
caryl

sunday in rome

sugestions for sunday in rome we hear most things are closed????

Aug 30th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Ed

Many things are closed on Sunday, but many are open. List too extensive for here. See www.twenj.com/romhours.htm

Aug 30th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Capo

Hi Caryl. One suggestion I'd have for a Sunday would be to visit both the Borghese Museum and park.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
paul

Most exciting day of travel ever had was Sunday in Rome. Witnessed the Pope on his balcony with thousands of people in the square, saw a mass in progress in St. Peters, and heard an amazing mass with full choir and orchestra in the Pantheon...if you don't think that is a treat for a nice Jewish boy from California...you don't know travelling! BTW...the acoustics in the Pantheon are truly unbelievable...and you'd never know it if you didn't have the good fortune to be in Rome on Sunday...the finest day without fail to be there!!

Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:40 PM
Kay

Caryl,
I believe there is a Sunday market in Trastevere called Porta Portese. I think it's on the street that winds alongside the river, from about 7am - 1pm. Not sure exactly what the market sells but we are planning on visiting it on our next trip.
Kay

Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Ed

You can buy almost anything at Porta Portese.

And the pickpockets can open almost anything. I've never been attacked so many times. I swear they could open a can of beer, drink it, close ... and you'd never know it had been touched.

Seriously, it is high risk for pickpocketing. Enjoy but be very wary.

twenj

Sep 2nd, 2001, 07:30 PM
Surlok

I've been to Porta Portese a few times, and never could find anything to buy.. There're so many different things, and so many stalls that it requires some expertise to distinguish what's worth among all the trashy things. Anyway, it's fun.

As Ed says, I've never seen so many gipsies together as I saw there..

The last time I went to Porta Portese was two months ago, accompanying a friend. Unfortunately when we got there, the market was closing down. We decided then to go for a walk through Trastevere. We headed northeast to Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, then West to Santa Maria, where we watched a baptism ceremony. We sat down at the Sta. Maria square for a while while having a gelatto, before heading North, and crossing the Tevere through Ponte Sisto towards Campo dei Fiori, and Piazza Navona, where we sat at a cafe, to have some panini and soft drinks, while we rested a little. From there, we walked to the Pantheon, heading afterwards to Fontana di Trevi. Since it was Sunday, there was little traffic, what made our walk even more enjoyable.

To the ones that feel like shopping, there are stores at Via del Corso, Piazza di Spagna and close to Fontana di Trevi that do open on Sundays .

Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:07 AM
Steve James

Hello Caryl,

How about a trip out of town ... to Tivoli?
Hadrian's Villa & Villa d'Este are both open on Sundays ...

Steve

Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:50 AM
clear-as-day

Surlock, Ed didn't mentioned gypsies, you did.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Surlok

clear-as-day,

You're right: Ed mentioned pick pocketing, I mentioned gypsies... However, most pickpockets in Rome are gypsies, although not all gypsies are pickpocketers.. Is it clear now, clear-as-a-day?

Surlok

Sep 6th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Dan

Caryl:

The Colosseum and the Forum are open on Sunday mornings and as a bonus the streets around these two attractions are closed on Sunday. That's when we toured it and it was deserted at 9 am. We could not see the Pope since the he leaves Rome during the summer months. The Pantheon Mass sounded really neat - what a fabulous building. In fact a Mass anywhere would be great if you are so inclined - the churches are magnificent.

Dan

Sep 6th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Dail

We were just in Italy in July, and it was like coming home!!! Such wonderful people and places. Piazza Navona was rocking way past midnight - we strolled and drank wine and smoked Cuban cigars (and wore money belts!!). St. Peter's was breathtaking and we were lucky enough to receive a Papal blessing. The colosseum, the forum, are not to be missed!! Buon Viaggi>