Renting and Apartment on Las Ramblas

Jan 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Renting and Apartment on Las Ramblas

I've been doing some additional research and I've read that south of the Liceu Theatre Las Ramblas can get pretty dangerous at night. Since the address of the apartment is Las Ramblas 12, it is definitely south of the Liceu theatre..Below are a few examples I found....

"Barcelona Las Ramblas can also be roughly divided into seedy and non-seedy areas. This distinction between seedy and non-seedy becomes a lot clearer during the night time when the Southern most end of the Ramblas becomes something of a red light district and is frequented by night women (prostitutes)."

"Between the Rambla del Centre and the Rambla de Santa Monica there is another small square known as the Plaça del Teatre because of the Principal Theatre which stands there (this has now been converted into a cinema and a pelota court). It is in this square that one now comes across the beginnings of the area where the lowest stata of society are to be found, mainly in the red light districts of the Barrio Chino and Escudellers street."

Can you give me your personal opinion on the safety and location of the apartment. I am from New York city so I am used to an urban city but I really would not want to stay in a location that I feel would be unsafe.

Thanks,
Alex
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:38 AM

The area is no more dangerous than anywhere else you choose to stay, but the location would not be my first choice in Barcelona. The area is changing, slowly, but there are far more attractive neighborhoods within an easy walk of Ramblas.

We walked through the Ramblas late at night, near midnight, just a few nights ago when walking up from the port and encountered no problems. The Ramblas was as busy as usual and there was a little police action along the way, but nothing unusual. Everyone stopped to watch before moving on. It's nice to know that the police are on the job, but you have to be aware of your surroundings wherever you go and Ramblas is no different. Just don't make yourself a target, stay out of the dark and narrow walkways and try to enjoy the city. There is a lot to see and do and there are some great restaurants in the area, just keep away from the tourist joints. They are easy to spot.
Jan 19th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Before we went to Barcelona, I read about being ultra-cautious on Las Ramblas and to avoid Via Escudellars completely. Well, with the exception of the shell game guys, Las Ramblas seemed pretty tame to us. We were never there past 11pm or so and are generally very aware of pickpockets, etc. I always feel safer in a crowd and Las Ramblas has that going for it. Being from NYC, I'm sure you understand.

As for Escudellars it was suggested that this street would be full of druggies and other unsavory types. We were determined to thread our way back to the apartment in the Bari Gotic without walking on this street. Having finally reached our street, we looked up to see the sign announcing that we had just been on the dreaded Escudellars! Yes, there were kids hanging around. But nothing too special in the way of illicit activity.

I think we were in the square you mentioned. There were tons of kids there. If hundreds of kids drinking at 11am bothers you, don't go! I just kept thinking that if my then-11-y.o. ever wanted to backpack around Europe, I would not allow her to visit Barcelona. Too wild! ;-)

Overall, I think the warnings about Barcelona are overdone. Now, as to where you'd like to stay...that's another story! If I had to do it over again, I'd stay uptown where the leafy streets and architecture are so appealing. In the Bari Gotic, the shops all rolled down their doors at night and the narrow streets were filled with bags of garbage and smelled of urine. It was fine to be in the middle of things, so to speak, but at the end of the day, I like to return home to an environment that is a little more aesthetically appealing.
Jan 19th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Yes, you're far down the Rambla, but there's always people on the Rambla, and you're very near the metro station, so I think you'll be safe. Just watch out for pickpockets and don't wander too much into the small streets on either side of the Rambla (below Liceu) late at night, esp. the Raval side.
Jan 19th, 2007, 05:58 AM

ps. that said, I do agree there are more pleasant areas in BCN to choose.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's reply...Luckily we were able to change our apartment location with our rental agency. We are now staying a few blocks east of Plaza Catalunya (When facing it on Las Ramblas.)

I asked the agents honest opinion and after some prodding he admitted that the southern Ramblas location of the previous apartment would probably not be the best place to stay. He recommended the new location east of Las Ramblas.

Any thoughts on this new location?

Also, would this be considered the Barri Gotic???
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM

it's a bit vague but if you mean the upper Raval, it's a significantly better area, unless you go too far from La Rambla and hit the San Antoni area.
Jan 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM

sorry I see you said "east". It could be Barri Gotic or Eixample, what's the street? Either way, even better than upper Raval.
Jan 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Eric - The apartment is on Passeig de Sert, between carrer de Trafalgar and Carrer de Sant Pere Mes Alt.
Jan 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Haven't been in that particular street but area is ok. You are near Palau de la Musica Catalana which is great. Neighborhood is called La Ribera. Parts of it are being gentrified, other have a significant immigrant population. If you walk south (perpendicular San Pere Mes Alt) there are some seedy-looking narrow streets at night. Best to use Trafalgar or Ronda San Pere at night.
Jan 24th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Eric. I actually had a friend who was in Barcelona for the weekend checkout the apartment for me. It looked pretty nice. It was on of the private Passeig's with the really beautiful wrought iron gates that enclose both sides of the street. Looking forward to my time in Barcelona!