Renting a Pluriel in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our honeymoon in early August, we are staying for two nights in Paris, then taking the train to Tours. We want to pick up a car there. We're staying near Amboise for two nights, then will drive down to our gite near Brive for a week. The plan is to drop the car in Brive, take the train back to CDG, and bid France a fond adieu.

I would really like to get a Citroen Pluriel, because my husband has a soft spot for the lovely old 2C. A convertible Pluriel would be a bonus. I've looked on Auto Europe, and Europcar with no luck.

Does anyone have advice on the best way of trying to find a Pluriel to rent? Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:45 AM

The Pluriel *is* a convertible. The regular Citroen in that category is the C3. There is also a C2, which is supposed to be the "descendant" of the old 2CV, but IMHO, the family resemblance ;-) is stronger with the C3.
FYI, the regular C3 is a 4-door. The covertible, Pluriel version is a 2-door. In case you have a preference.
Try this link:
http://www.driveeurope.com/carrentals/france.html

Apparently they offer both C3 and Pluriels. I have no experience with them, i.e., their reliability, whether they can substitute the dreaded "similar" car instead of giving them what you want, etc., but they are worth checking out.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:58 AM

Autoeurope and Europcar were the agencies giving me quotes on that convertible car. I didn't do anything special, they will list all possibilities within your size category, and it came up.

I suspect the problem is they just don't have any/many for rent in Amboise or Tours. I was looking in PRovence where they were more common.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

BTilke - thanks for your guidance. I checked the site - and yes, they do carry the Pluriel! However, it seems that the rental rate includes a one night stay in a *** hotel(!?), which is not of any interest to us, as we've already booked our accomodations.

HST, the rate looks not too bad (USD $62/day, including VAT, 3rd Party and CDW, so I'll try and follow up with them by phone.

Anyone else had any experience with driveeurope.com?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

I placed a call to driveeurope, and here's what I found out. First of all, they replaced the Pluriel with a C5 (not a convertible) - no Pluriel's available in Tours.

WRT the hotel, if you decline the hotel, you take $60 off the quoted rate.

So, it's back to my search for the elusive Pluriel. We may end up renting in Paris, driving to Tours, if we can get the car we want that way.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

The miracle of the phone! Just booked our Pluriel by calling Autoeurope's toll free line. Very helpful and knowledgeable fellow helped me book everything over the phone. He knew which of the many Paris pick-up locations was closest to our hotel, and which ones carried the Pluriel. Really good customer experience.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:59 PM

mcburja,

Hi! Just wondering what kind of deal you got from auto europe for renting the Pluriel (convertible). We are looking for a similar car this June and renting in Paris.

Did they charge you per day, or did you have to do a minimum three-day rental?

Thanks!