Renting a car to get out of Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, We are going to France for 2 weeks in Aug/Sept. When we arrive at CDG plan to take public transport into town and stay for 5 days. Then we want to rent a car for a 10 day tour of Normandy, Vimy and poss Alsace area. I am trying to figure out where to pick up rental car and which company to use. We don't want to drive in Paris. Should we go back out to the airport and arrange a pick up there or is there somewhere we can ride the local transport to the end of line that is quieter and than the airport and start from there. I want to stop at Givernay on the way to Normandy so don't want to take the train too far from Paris. Allyson
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Picking up a car at CDG would work for driving on to Giverny--the route is fairly simple. Check the rental prices on autoeurope.com, a consolidator used by quite a few of us here. You could take the RER out to the airport.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM

The Hertz office is on the Rue de Rivoli. At the Carousel du Louvre. Very close to where many tourists stay in Paris.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM

We just got back from France about 10 days ago and our trip to Normandy. We rented at CDG through Hertz (prearranged from the U.S.) drove to Giverny and on to the other points in Normandy we wanted to visit. We didn't think it was bad at all getting out CDG and finding our way. We dropped the car before going back into Paris for our last few nights so we did the reverse.
Old May 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM

as StanleyS suggested the Hertz location in the parking garage at Carousel du Louvre is very easy, and you avoid the time/cost of going to CDG. I've used it many times and it is very easy...not sure of the precise route you will take out of the city, but those that I have taken are pretty straightforward.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:24 AM

5 years ago we took the train Paris to Vernon (for Givernay) and picked up our rental there. Got our rental thru Autoeurope from Avis and days later we dropped it off in Tours and took the TGV back to Paris. It worked well for us because it saved us some time which we value during our limited vacation time.
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:50 AM
ira

Hi A,

> a 10 day tour of Normandy, Vimy and poss Alsace area.

If you are going to go to Alsace, fly home from Stuttgart or Basel.

I also suggest adding 1-2 nights to Paris.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
www.autoeurope.com -- if you pick up the car at one of the Paris train stations, there will nearly always be a far better selection of cars available from which they will let you choose.

Driving <b>out</b> of Paris is not a problem. If you think it is, I do not recommend that you drive in the rest of France.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Don't worry IRA, I have 5 days in Paris before I start the 10 cruise around the country side. A
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM

We rented in Paris and really it was not difficult to drive out of Paris. (We headed to Giverny first, like you plan to do.)

We found it easier than driving out of Florence!

have a great trip!