Renting a car in Nafplio and driving around

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2019, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about renting a car in Nafplio and driving around the Peloponnese peninsula. We're interested int Kardamyli and Kalamata. Does anyone have an itinerary or places we should see? We will drop the car back in Nafplio after 4 or 5 days, then head back to Athens.

Thanks
Old May 30th, 2019, 11:19 PM

Nafplio has the greatest concentration of ancient sites nearby of anywhere in Greece. Check with this website to see what is available in the Argolis region: http://visitnafplio.com

There is lots to see around the Kalamata area, including Ancient Messene, a huge, but little visited ancient site. Also check out the picturesque seaside villages of Pylos, Methoni, and Koroni.
Old May 31st, 2019, 05:04 AM

Monemvasia

One of our favorite place was Monemvasia, to visit with a guide. We had Effie from getyourguide.
Epidavros, and Mycenea are must seen place in my opinion.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Could you share what you will do/have done while in Nafplio? That will help tailor suggestions. I would try to stop at Mystras en route. Definitely include Messene as suggested above! We spent four nights in Kardamyli, but me mostly hiked in the vicinity of Kardamyli while there.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Be warned, driving in Greece is not for the faint of heart. For one thing, you will probably need to rent a stick shift. The roads are very narrow, but the scenery is stunning You should try and go to Mystra, amazing archaeological site near Sparta, well you drive through Sparta to get there. you may need to spend the night, it is sort of out of the way. nearer to Kalamada is the ancient site of Messini. The drive from Mystra to Kalamada is amazing. Tiny road that cuts through the rocks above a river Gorge, then winds its way down the hill to Kalamada. So funny we passed a tiny Toyota pick-up truck coming up the hill with a HORSE in the back.
I did this trip a few years ago with my daughter, an archaeologist. Haha fun for her because she doesn't know how to drive a stick shift so I was the driver for an entire week. Have fun.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Surrounding Napflion - The Mycenae is a rich historical gem, Epidavros- amazing acoustics in this Greek theater, Tiryns, Nemea . Island of Spetses, water taxi over.
Mystras which our Greek friends told us not to miss, a Byzantine town, a nice change from the Greek antiquities.
Why Kalamata? A port city. We had to drive through it to get to Olympia from Mystras/ Sparta. Lots of traffic in Kalamata.
Olympia is a must see. Amazing. Museum is excellent too.
Driving through mountainous areas takes more time so be aware of that. Make sure your car has enough horsepower to handle the terrain.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:22 PM

It was no problem to reserve an automatic, from the airport in Athens anyway. You may wish to do that anyway so you'll have use of the car in Nafplio. The drive from ATH to Nafplio is completely easy, just a highway.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 01:11 PM

If you live outside the EU be sure to go to your local auto club office to pick up an International Driving Permit, no test or membership required.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 05:41 PM
kja

You will find a wealth of information in the Michelin Green Guide. And much less information, but perhaps some useful ideas, in my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

We haven't narrowed down all that we want to do. We don't want to visit every ruin but would like to visit some highlights and do a little walking and relaxing. We only have 2 weeks and don't want to run around crazy, which is why we are staying in the Peloponnese. Looks like there is plenty to keep us busy and entertained.

Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

My husband drives a stick shift he drove in Scotland and Ireland. At least they drive on the right side of the road in Greece!!

Thank you