Renting a car in Italy

Search

Renting a car in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in Italy

Which car rental agency would you recommend? I was thinking of going with either Autoeurope or Avis but thought I'd get some feedback on ppl who have rented cars in Italy before. Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:57 AM
rex

Autoeurope might set you up with Avis - - at a much better rate than Avis will give you. Autoeurope has no cars to rent. They are a broker. They use many, if not all of the majors.

They are excellent in service to the customer, especially with their 24/7 toll free service for issues at 3 am (US time) when you are arriving in Europe)

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I agree totally with Rex. Two good things to know about AutoEurope is that they have offices with Avis and Europecar in hundreds of locations in Italy. You can pick up a car in one location in Italy and drop it off in another at no extra charge. Also, if you pick it up in a city location and drop it off either in a city or at an airport, you avoid the 10% or so surcharge that is charged if you pick it up at the airport.

You can't underestimate the value of the 24-hr. free line to the U.S. We have been able to easily shift a car reservation by a day and to make a second reservation from Italy using this 24-hr. line.

Suzy Kane, http:www.IdyllicItaly.com
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information above! Sorry I think I accidnetally posted this message twice!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:21 AM

When we went last time, we booked directly with Avis, mostly because my husband gets a good deal because of his employer. The daily rate was competitive with AutoEurope.

We had no problems whatsoever. Infact, they were very accomodating. We had originally scheduled pick up in Venice and drop off in Florence; however, our plans changed and we needed to have the car an extra day and change our drop off to Pisa. There were no penalties for the different drop off location, and we got the same daily rate for the additional day. We were even late dropping the car off by several hours and were not charged an extra day as we had been warned we would be. Maybe we just got lucky, who knows, but the car and the experience were great.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi,

Also look at http://www.novarentacar.com/
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:48 PM

we rented thru auto europe and got a car with avis. we had no trouble.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM

We were happy with nova rentacar