Renting a car in Ireland

Search

Renting a car in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting a car in Ireland

My wife and I will be in Ireland in late August and early September. After spending a few days in Dublin, we'd like to rent a car and head out into the country. Our preference would be a pick-up spot on the outskirts of Dublin. Any recommendations for best prices?
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Depends on the Itinerary. Car hire is available in lots of places although operators may be limited. Where are the first and last places apart from Dublin, and are there places you want to see between Dublin and your first other location?
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:21 PM

My husband and I arrive in Dublin next week. After spending four nights in Dublin we return to the airport to pick up our rental vehicle. Following ten days of exploring we will return the vehicle to the airport late in the evening and spend the last night at the Holiday Inn Express before catching an early morning flight home the following day. We rented the car through AutoEurope.com Hertz will be providing the vehicle. We opted for the no deductible rate. The reviews for AutoEurope and Hertz are very good as is the rate.
Old May 20th, 2015, 03:08 PM

2 years ago I did the same as MarieWest.
After a few days in Dublin, I rented the car at Dublin airport from Hertz (prebooked the automatic BMW in the states...I don't do standard ). Took the full coverage policy as I knew it would be an "exciting" trip and I didn't want to pay for a BMW if something happened.
The best thing I did was bought a Garmin GPS specifically for Ireland and was able to preload our destinations. I'd still be in Ireland if I didn't have it...just kidding.
Just get fully versed on your car before leaving the parking lot. I was not aware of a certain feature in the car and I had to call in to the rental company for help, it was resolved quickly but did cause some stress for me at the time.
We loved our trip!
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:10 PM

I use Sixt and they are fine. Pleasant, efficient, no hard sell on extra insurance and full/full fuel policy.
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:30 PM

By the way, we also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express after returning the car. They provided free shuttle to airport the next morning.