rental car insurance in Greece

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rental car insurance in Greece

Buttoning down our car reservations for Naxos & Milos islands. Our credit card will cover up to $50,000 US for any damage to the car, providing we decline vehicle coverage from the rental company. However it does NOT cover any bodily injury coverage to us or others. Our personal auto here at home does not cover us at all over there, so...
Several of the rental companies state that the rental covers Third Party Insurance - Anyone know what this is? Any recommendations as to the term or what I should ask for to get some injury-type insurance or a company that includes this in their rates?

Suzbrownie is offline  
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,740
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liability insurance purchased by an insured (the first party) from an insurer (the second party) for protection against the claims of another (the third) party. The first party is responsible for its own damages or losses whether caused by itself or the third party.
brotherleelove2004 is offline  
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 392
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your primary concern is "bodily injury coverage" to yourselves, then your US health insurance may cover "urgent" or "emergency" healthcare expenses in foreign country.

It most likely would NOT cover "medical evacuation" expenses, ie you are seriously injured and need/want to fly home. I've read "medical evacution" costs can reach astronomical levels, $50K and up.

In that case, some kind of short-term "traveler's health & accident" policy, with evacuation coverage, might be a better choice. Loss of wages and related economic loss would probably Not be covered.

In the US, you typically need "under insured and "uninsured" coverage on your auto, to protect your wages & losses if another uninsured motorist hits and injures you.

At home in US, I also have an "umbrella liability" policy to cover 3rd party claims, if those claims were to exceed my homeowners & auto liability limits. I haven't checked if it applies overseas, but I suspect not.

Your home & auto insurance agent, if you have one, might be able to clarify and make suggestions.
tom_h is offline  
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 74,698
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi S,

>Several of the rental companies state that the rental covers Third Party Insurance...<

All rental agencies provide 3rd Party Ins. This pays to damage to persons and property outside the rental car.

Your CC will cover you for all damages to the rental car.

You and your passengers might want medical insurance to cover you in case of accident.

ira is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
Sep 10th, 2010 03:12 PM
Jan 2nd, 2008 06:40 AM
United States
Jul 12th, 2006 05:51 PM
Jan 6th, 2006 01:28 PM
Apr 5th, 2005 12:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information