RENFE reservations on-line

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perdoneme for this elementary question, but is it possible to book RENFE trains directly through their website if you're a U.S. resident, thus avoiding the outrageous shipping fees on the Rail Europe site?
When you book directly with RENFE, do you get tickets in the mail or pick them up at el estacion?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM

martytravels,,
I see that Tiknet is now up and running again (I couldn't get it to work a couple of weeks ago). Yes, US residents can certainly book through the website, then pick your tickets up in Spain.
We did this in April. But as first time users to Tiknet, we were only able to book 1 itinerary a piece before picking our tickets up in Spain and thus establishing a user identity.
Now that we've both established our user identity we can purchase up a storm on the renfe.es site when Tiknet is operating properly!
The Tiknet site gives you the details about this.
We needed AVE tixs Seville-Córdoba and also Córdoba-Madrid, so my husband bought one itinerary, I purchased the other.
You MUST however, show the c.c. that you used to purchase the tix plus your locator number to the RENFE agent when picking them up in Spain. Don't forget to bring that c.c.!!
We picked up our tickets at the handy RENFE counter in Terminal 1, lower level (next to the Replay news store) at Barajas upon arrival. That counter opens at 8 and there's never a line. I much prefer to pick up/purchase tixs there than endure the long lines at Atocha or Chamartín or at Seville's Santa Justa. We never, ever buy Renfe tickets through Rail Europe.
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

It does indeed Maribel. Thanks a bundle!
You were only able to book one itinerary each the 1st time, though? I'll probably need to book 3 separate segments.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM

marty,
Where are your headed? Can you purchase 1 itinerary on Tiknet then make the other reservations when you arrive in Barajas?
We purchased our AVE tickets in advance on Tiknet because we were headed back to Madrid from Seville on Easter Mon. We knew that all trains back to Madrid would run full, which was indeed the case-no last minute seats available. But for other itineraries such advance planning isn't usually necessary unless it's a tren-hotel.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,
It will be Madrid-Granada (via the trenhotel), then Granada-Madrid and Madrid-Barcelona. Do you think I will be safe dealing with Granada-Madrid and Madrid-Barcelona once I get there? (Neither one of those is trenhotel)
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Check that Maribel, that first segment should be Barcelona-Granada via trenhotel, then Granada-Madrid and Madrid-Barcelona.
Lo siento!
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 02:53 PM

hi marty,
I'd definitely do the Barcelona-Granada tren hotel through Tiknet. You should be fine purchasing the Granada-Madrid and the Madrid-Barcelona once you arrive at Barajas. The Altaria is now running from Madrid-Barcelona (under 5 hrs.) rather than the Talgo.
The AVE has only been completed from Madrid-Lleida.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like a plan!
Thanks again, Maribel.