Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renfe: Anyone booked with American CC very recently?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
CPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the same online booking problem as mentioned in all previous posts. Continued to get error message "can't process this right now.....GT001"

Steps I have taken so far but still no luck.
- Alerting credit cards (only called once though)
- tried booking in english and spanish renfe site
- tried both PC and Mac

I am going to try the site tonight again and hope for miracles since i really do want to get the web fare. Otherwise, I will resort to booking over the phone. Just curious if anyone have been successfully using an American CC lately.

thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM

I tried for days to get all the way through to book tickets from Madrid to Barcelona. I even called Renfe three times. You may want to try these steps just in case it works for you and since each representative I spoke to was positive they'd diagnosed the problem. First rep said that I needed to delete cookies and internet history. I tried and I still got the same G001 message. Second rep said the message meant that there were no tickets on the date for the train time or type of ticket I wanted and that I should pick another combination. I tried multiple combinations and none worked. Third rep said I could only book with a Spanish credit card or American Express. I had tried MasterCard because I thought that I had read they wouldn't take American Express. I tried Amex but it didn't work. So, to make a long story short, I called one last time and booked the estrella class by phone using my American Express, they won't book web fares by phone. Maybe you'll get lucky with one of the other steps. Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM

We have booked several tickets for clients over the last 6 weeks. There have been some problems with the new system, a lot of bugs, but if you are persistent, you should be able to book your tickets. One on the major problems is that Renfe has been slow to update the schedule, as such, a web fares are not shown, and a lot of people have been getting the G001 message. Just keep trying...

Based on what we're experienced, Master Card works most of the time. VISA also works most of the time, but not as often as MC. Amex cards are only accepted over the phone, and as such, you can only get the Estrella fare, the 40% discount, not the nice 60% discount of the "Web Fare".
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM

I was going to post the same message. The webfare appears and is available. After I fill in all info I get the same message you do. My friend thinks the web fare is only available if you are in Spain. If you notice you have to put in a Province. I put New York in that box but it does give you a place to recognize yourself as a foreigner and put in your passport ID. I wish someone knew what the problem is. It is so frustrating. If you discover the secret please let the rest of us know. The regular fare from Mafrid to Cordoba is 63E whereas the webfare listed is 27E yet I applied also in English and Spanish and I used two different credit cards and I get the same response you did. I get no train available from Madrid to Toledo. How can that be? Help, some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM

Actually, I do not think the credit card makes a difference because tonight I could not even get to the oint of putting in my credit card info. As soon as I chose the web fare it gave me the G0001 and cannot process now message. I got the same for the Estralla fare.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM

The web fares are available to everyone, but seats are limited and once they are sold you can only purchase the regular fare.

If the schedule hasn't been updated, none of the discount fares will show. You may have to wait until the week before to make the reservation.

You have use the English language page in order to enter the proper ID and purchase your tickets. It cannot be done on the Spanish page.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
CPT
Original Poster

I was finally able to purchase with my MC. In the morning, I purchased the regular fare, then afterward, when I checked again the afternoon, there were tons of web and estrella fare for teh same Madrid-sevilla route. I tried to exchange the ticket, only successful with one out of two tickets and then it was G001 since then (that was three nights ago, and still getting G001 message this morning) Definitely just KEEP trying over and over again!!! of 50 times, one time will go thru!

I truly believe the system is bugged.....and that I know it sounds silly, but I really think the site cant handle too many visitors at once...but of course, that's my personal excuse for this madness....I have no technical data to proof it.

good luck!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM

CPT - Have you checked with your credit card company to see if they are denying the attempted purchase? I believe that I received the G001 error message the first time I tried to buy tickets on the RENFE site, and when I called Capitol One, they had refused the transaction. Once I called to tell them that I was legitimately wanting to make a purchase on the site, it went through just fine.

For those who haven't seen it, this step-by-step instruction (posted by Maribel, I believe) is extremely useful:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...s.Online..html

It states, in pertinent part:
"47. When you put in your credit card information and enter the data, you may get the G001 error. This means that Renfe could not make a connection with your credit card's bank at that time. You can try again another time. If you have tried several times and have not been successful, there is bad news for you. Most of the people who have had this error are people who live outside of Spain.

There is another cause for this error. It may mean that the Renfe website software is incompatible with the software of your credit card's bank. The Renfe software is designed to work with the software of banks in Spain. Banks in Spain seem to have a higher degree of security than banks in other countries, especially the USA. A Spanish bank customer must have a contract to access his account on the web. The Spanish bank customer is given a customer number, a numerical code, and a plastic card the size of a credit card. This card has a matrix from A to J on the vertical column and Nos. 1 to 10 on the horizontal column. The matrix is filled with random numbers from 1 to 99. When the software of Renfe queries the software of a Spanish bank, the Spanish bank software asks the user for his customer number, his numerical code, and asks for the random number in a certain spot of the matrix, such as G5. If the user cannot provide this number, the request is rejected by the bank. This bank software prevents fraud.

Many American credit cards simply will not work because the bank that issues them may not have software that is compatible with the Renfe software. Many Americans have pulled their hair out in frustration trying to buy Renfe tickets on the web, without much luck. This writer has not had any luck using his American Visa credit card because when he puts in his credit card information on the Renfe website, the Renfe website brings him to his credit card's bank and when he enters the information his bank asks for, nothing happens and the transaction is not completed.

If you have problems which you cannot resolve, call Renfe, who can transfer you to an English speaker.

Phone number: (+ 34) 902-109-420 (Hours:7:00-23:00).

One reader of this forum had trouble completing the transaction and called Renfe. The Renfe operator helped her complete her transaction, using an American Express card. The reader was able to get a discount and the Renfe operator sent her a confirmation email with the tickets. The operator told her this could be done only with American Express cards. However now Visa cards are working.

The tickets are transferable, so if none of your credit cards work, you can ask a friend to try his credit card and if it works, you can print out the tickets and pay your friend."
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
CPT
Original Poster

Thanks Lesli. I read thru the forum in and out and was aware of the possibility mentioned. I took all steps and followed the guide from Maribel. I truly think it's a renfe system issue. It just requires a lot of trial and many errors. Eventually it WILL go thru. Just takes a lot of time of trying. Thanks