rendez-vous point for LIS airport

Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

rendez-vous point for LIS airport

Friends and I are arriving in Lisbon at various times and on various airlines. Is there a landmark or restaurant all of us could easily find inside the airport? 1 is flying Delta; the other American.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM

ttt
Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM

While Lisbon's airport is all in one terminal, it's a fairly large one. As I recall, most of the amenities are inside security and that could create a problem, since you may need to pick up baggage and exit the secure area.

Since it is so close to the city and taxis are cheap in Lisbon, my first suggestion would be to have people cab into town and meet at the hotel (assuming that you are staying in Lisbon proper). Waiting around an airport is really not a lot of fun and if you're spread out over a couple of hours according to the SCHEDULE, then throw in the possibility of delays and you could be setting up the first people arriving for a rather annoying start to your adventure to achieve no particular value.

It will also make a difference if people are flying in from Schengen countries in Europe or arriving non-stop from the U.S., for example. Those arriving from Schengen countries do not have to deal with customs/immigration in Lisbon, so it's pretty quick for them. They may be able to catch others coming in as they arrive at their respective gates. (Just check the monitors to see where people are arriving.)

Everything kind of funnels out to the taxi pickup point anyway so the next best thing might be to check monitors to see how others are doing and just catch them as they head out of the terminal.

Of course, some of this is going to be moot if, say, you're renting a car and you all need to group up at the airport. In that case -- or if you want to, "just because" -- then there are a few places you could choose:

http://tinyurl.com/gchrf

Be sure to choose one outside of security, since that is going to be easiest.

Lisbon is a very nice destination and a wonderful comparative value, too. Have a great trip!

Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM

Regarding taxis from the airport, I had no problem, however, I ran across this report on TripAdvisor that is worth passing along:

"My only warning would not involve the hotel but rather the taxi drivers, otherwise known as the taxi mafia by the locals, when arriving from the airport. Thanks for the Trip Advisor readers I was prepared for this so when the driver tried to raise the rate 4 times the meter I had paper and pencil in hand and, after getting my suitcase, wrote down the cab number from the back windshield as well as the license number and smiled at the driver who quickly gave me money back. On the return to the airport a member of the hotel staff established the cost with the driver. Thanks, Tripadvisor readers."
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM

All passengers arriving in Lisbon will go through the same sliding glass doors after going through customs. When you go through those doors, you will be about four or five feet above the arrival area below. Once you are through the doors, you can't keep going straight, you have to either go down a ramp to the right or a ramp to the left to get to the arrivals waiting area. It's a small enough area that you will probably not have much trouble finding each other if the first to arrive keeps an eye out for the others, but one possibility would be to decide whether everyone will turn right or left after going through the glass doors and then meet at the bottom of the ramp. LR