Reload this Page >

Renault Megane /tips on renting cars

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:39 AM
Carla

Is anyone familiar with this car? <BR>Will it hold 4 adults plus baggage? <BR>Any tips on rental cars, companies? <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:42 AM
xxx

Yes - but I think that it would be a little tight for 4 adults if you were planning on doing much driving. As to baggage, it depends on how much you bring! This car is one size above compact so if you have large suitcases they wont fit.

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:43 AM
xxx

Where are ya going? I've had good luck with auto europe, good rates and service.

Old May 25th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Greg

I am sure that a magane will be too small for 4 people with luggage. It is a comfortable 4 seater but the boot (trunk) will not hold more the luggage that 4 would normally carry. I suggest you try for a Renault Scenic - it will hold the luggage, is very comfortable, quite drivaable, and the high profile gives excellent viewing for passengers.

Old May 25th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Carla

We will be in Provence and Central Italy for the most part. How can I get <BR>the dimensions of the trunk? What is <BR>too large in the way of suitcases - <BR>2 couples each will have one large.

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Rex

Carla, <BR> <BR>It has been said here a thousand times by people who know Europe travel well: taking a "large" suitcase is one of the surest ways to be sure you will be miserable with your decision. Take two suitcases of medium size PER person if necessary. If you are taking any bag with any dimension larger than 22 to 24 inches, you are simply not listening to the advice which is consistently dispensed on this message board. <BR> <BR>I have never read a single message here from someone who said "I took a LARGE suitcase to Europe, and I'm glad I did". <BR> <BR>And back to your original question "Any tips on rental cars, companies" - - try: <BR> <BR>www.autoeurope.com <BR>www.its-cars-hotels.com <BR>www.kemwel.com <BR>www.travelocity.com <BR> <BR>I'm pretty sure that the first three have accurate pictures of the cars available to you. And many people say that the AutoEurope is the only name you need to know for renting cars in Europe. I generally agree with this, but I do shop around too, and (rarely) find a better deal elsewhere. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:24 AM
StCirq

We've rented Renault Meganes several times. Just big enough for 2 adults, 2 kids, each with a small roll-on suitcase and one carry-on bag. I think you'll need something bigger. We had a Renault station wagon last year that would be perfect for your needs, but I can't remember the name of it. If you do rent from AutoEurope, they can provide the dimensions of the trunk of any car. Do encourage your fellow travelers not to bring large pieces of luggage.

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Myriam

The Renault StCirq means was probably a Renault Laguna break (=estate). This one will surely fit 4 adults and lots of luggage.

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Carla

Many thanks, guys. I went right down and check luggage dimensions: suitcase <BR>we plan to take: 21" X 19" X 12 wide <BR>Do you think this would work? Presumably the other couple's luggage will not exceed these dimensions. What do you think?

Old May 25th, 2001, 04:56 AM
StCirq

Thanks, Myriam, I think it was a Renault Laguna, and it would have ample room as you say for 4 adults and luggage. <BR> <BR>Carla: If everyone sticks to those dimensions, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Carla

So, Myriam, we can stay with the <BR>Renault Megane if we all abide by the <BR>21 X 19 X 12 dimensions? I hope this <BR>is correct... ? How late can one get a car before leaving, anyway. We are about 2 weeks out.

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Rex

Carla, <BR> <BR>You don't say what country (or did I overlook that?) - - but in most major locations, I think that AutoEurope can take care of you with as little as 48 hours or so from the time of your call to your arrival. Still, why wait any further? <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Carla

Rex, we are headed for the Provence and <BR>Central Italy. Our longest drivetime between stops will be about 3 to 4 hours. Meanwhile, the autoeurope guy I contacted said the Megane should do OK if we keep to the parameters of the 21X19X12 luggage. Hm.

Old May 25th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Lesli

Carla - <BR> <BR>I rented a Mengane in France through AutoEurope this past October. It is very similar in both size and handling to a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, and trunk size also seemed comparable. I was quite happy with it, and would not have wanted to maneuver anything much larger on some of the narrow roads/driveways we took. Mileage was also good. We were only two people (with a 21" rollaboard and tote bag each), but could have easily fit two more, as long as they were not giants with too much luggage!

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Myriam

Carla, DON'T take the usual Renault Mégane. It will definitely be too small. Either you take the Mégane Scénic (which is kind of small monovolume (minivan?) or a Renault Laguna break (estate).

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:28 AM
Carla

Thanks everyone. These comments have been very helpful. Nothing is locked in <BR>yet, so more discussion is very welcome.

Old May 26th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Kim

<BR>Carla: If you'd like to see photos of the different Renault Megane models, go to "http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/index_produit.htm" Some models have shots of the luggage compartment that might help with your decision making.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Carla

I emailed the rental company and they <BR>claim the trunk has 14 cubic feet of <BR>space and "should" accommodate us. <BR>I am getting antsy about this. The other couple is bringing one suitcase <BR>and a garment bag. Help!! I don't mind <BR>upgrading but now I am concerned about <BR>the small streets, etc.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Carla

Forgot to mention that the other <BR>couple's suitcase is 24 x 19 x 14 <BR>a little bigger than ours. Plus that garment bag. And too, we will be <BR>traveling about 4 - 5 hours between <BR>destinations in Provence/Tuscany. I am getting really nervous. Hope someone <BR>can help.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Diane

Just back from 3 weeks in Italy. I kept a journal and will do a trip report later, but thought I'd respond here -- we used AutoEurope who upgraded us to an Opel Spectre small wagon, with a great covered baggage area. It fit three adults comfortably, also luggage, shopping bags, etc. Was really a champ everywhere we went -- even driving the Amalfi Coast road for three days, and through the Dolomites and those amazing "tourneaus" Make sure you know where reverse is -- we have driven standard shift cars for 30 years and had a problem locating it on this car!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -