Regarding time needed for catching connecting flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plans for trip to London with grand-daughter in June 2013. Flight from Washington DC lands in Dublin Ireland and there is only 50 minutes before plane leaves for London. Do you think this is enough time going through immigration, etc.? Can't remember when you reach your first European airport if you have to pick up your luggage and go through immigration and then recheck to go on connecting flight. Thanks for your help. Also am still checking airfares. They have jumped almost $400 since December. Still had questions on time going so couldn't book. We plan to go to London, train to Paris, train to Munich and fly home from there. Flying out of New Orleans June 3 and returning June 26.

Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM

Is it a legal connection? In other words, is this flight combination coming up on the airline's website?

If it's legal and ticketed by a single airline (Aer Lingus?), you can go for it. Even if you miss the connection, you're protected by the airline.

Not sure whether you have to go through immigration in Dublin since you're immediately flying out of the country.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 03:42 PM

See if there's another flight leaving Dublin for London after the one you're booked on. If so, most likely you would be automatically booked on that one and just get into London a little later if you miss your original connection. On the other hand, you could arrive early in Dublin and have plenty of time to connect.

If there is no flight to London the same day after your original flight leaves, then you can worry a little bit. At worst, you'd spend a night in Dublin and go the next morning or something like that.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Would this be a single ticket? If so, you are protected - and if you miss the flight they have to put you on the next.

If they are 2 separate tickets and you miss the second flight you are a "no show" and then you would have to buy a new ticket at the walk-up price.

I am risk averse - and if it were me I would want more time.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Would this be a single ticket? If so, you are protected - and if you miss the flight they have to put you on the next.

If they are 2 separate tickets and you miss the second flight you are a "no show" and then you would have to buy a new ticket at the walk-up price.

I am risk averse - and if it were me I would want more time.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM

I'd want more time, too. And if on a single ticket, I'd want to know when the next flight that I (might) get booked on departed.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will look for next flights out.