REFERENCES FOR THESE HOTELS IN ITALY?

Nov 25th, 1998, 01:19 AM
A. Ghosh

REFERENCES FOR THESE HOTELS IN ITALY?

Hi,

I'm planning my first trip to Italy in February (I know, I know, it's not the best time, but my hands are tied). I've booked the following hotels, and would greatly appreciate any references (good or bad):

Rome: Hotel Sant'Anna
San Gimignano: Hotel Antico Pozzo
Florence: Loggiati dei Serviti
Venice: Hotel Marconi.

Plus, could you recommend a nice hotel in Milan -- near the historic centre, less than $150 a day?
Cheers,
A. Ghosh.

Nov 25th, 1998, 10:50 AM
Stephen Chappell

A. -

Can't speak for the other hotels, but the Loggiato dei Serviti in Florence is a wonderful place to stay. It's right across from Brunelleschi's famous Ospedale degli Innocenti (which is credited as the starting point of the Renaissance) in a beautiful square. The square and the hotel steps are seen in "A Room With a View" when the two middle-aged women are exploring the city "without Baeddeker's". I haven't stayed there, but I mean to after dropping by and seeing the lobby, location and service. Fodor's gives it a recommendation at this page: http://www.fodors.com/[email protected]=Florence. Good luck!

Nov 25th, 1998, 03:32 PM
Andy

Ditto Steve's reply on the Loggiati Dei Serviti in Florence. We styaed across the piazza from that hotel and got to look at a couple of the rooms. Very nice. Great loaction too!

Nov 25th, 1998, 08:21 PM
Bartholomew Murphy

My wife and I spent three days at the Loggiati dei Serviti in Florence and found it to be a wonderful hotel. Couldn't recommend it more for location, service and value. Enjoy Italy!

Nov 25th, 1998, 08:36 PM
A. Ghosh

Thanks to Stephen, Andy and Bartholomew. I'll take the Loggiati as a done deal, then. Anybody have any thoughts on the other three?
A. Ghosh.

Nov 25th, 1998, 08:42 PM
Sally

My favorite hotel in San Gimignano is La Cisterna, a three star hotel in the main square. It is one of our all time favorite hotels. We stayed there two weeks ago for the third year in a row. It cost ,I believe, 130,000 lire for a double room with a view.

Nov 25th, 1998, 10:31 PM
deepa

Stayed at the Marconi in Venice. Its very well located, right next to the Realto bridge. Its a Minotel group hotel and very good value- Clean and modern, good breakfast and free ferry ride to Murano. Enjoy your stay!

Nov 26th, 1998, 02:19 AM
A. Ghosh

Thanks Sally. I did try the Cisterna, but they didn't respond to my e-mail. We'll certainly look it up when we're there.
Thanks Deepa. So now we're set for Florence and Venice. Still awaiting endorsements for the hotels in Rome and San Gimignano. Plus suggestions for Milan.

Nov 26th, 1998, 09:26 AM
Paul J

I might be able to help you out in selecting a Hotel in Milan. We were there last month. We stayed at the Hotel City. It was a nice day and were able to walk from the Central Rail Station although you may want to take a cab in February. It's not that close to the Duamo but we took the subway at the direction of the hotelman. It worked out very well. The Hotel City is a very nice fairly new 3 star hotel. It cost about $125US. It was an excellent value. One thing that made it very convenient was that you can make your reservations through the Best Western Internet Page. You can email me directly if you need more information. Enjoy your trip.....Paul J

Dec 16th, 1998, 06:37 AM
John Rizzuto

I didn't actually stay at the Hotel Antico Pozzo, but picked up a brochure while I was in San Gimingiano. For what it is worth ... the lobby and pictures of the rooms looked very nice and the price was under$100 at the time.

Dec 16th, 1998, 11:24 AM
Sally

We called the Cisterna Hotel in San G.,and then we confirmed it with a fax.
Sally

Dec 20th, 1998, 03:55 PM
Laura Brewer

We stayed at the Hotel King in Rome last October ('97). It is well located at the top of the Spanish Steps. We were first at the Hotel Condotti, but it was sooooo smoky throughout (I still choke when I think of it) and the room soooo small (not enough room to even change your mind!). The Hotel King was a good change for us. Not great like the Loggiati Dei Serviti in Florence (we did stay there, and that's a real winner), but I liked it, especially by comparison to what else was available for the price in Rome.

Have a great time. And while in Rome, check out Scala Reale, a very un-touristy tour guide service. Tom Rankin owns it and he's got a web site. Search for Scala Reale.