Red light district - Amsterdam

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Whey

Red light district - Amsterdam

What are the "must dos" and "don'ts" when going to the Red Light district in Amsterdam?

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
a

don't use a camera. i had read that someone might grab it and throw it in the canal. i don't know if this is really true, but when we walked threw the are, we left the camera at the hotel.

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Thyra

The only I know for sure thing that you must not DO is to take pictures of the human merchandise that is for sale. They have store fronts and often times, people who are selling themselves sit in the windows, displaying their "wares". Last time I was in Amsterdam, my friend and I were walking directly behind some US service men, and one guy took a photo of one of the ladies in the windows...instantly a burly bouncer ran out of a door way, grabbed the guys camera and dumped the film onto the street. As for Must Do's I guess it just depends upon your personal morality issues... certainly unless you are going to visit a strip show or erotic club, the only other thing to DO in the red light district, besides actually pay for "entertainment" is to walk around and stare.

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:49 AM
z

Great place for "Window Shoping" . .

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Sting

Do not sing or whistle the tune "Roxanne", which was inspired by a trip to the Amsterdam red light district!

Jun 13th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Capo

I've heard about the "no-photos" rule too.

There was an interesting segment on a TV newsmagazine program last year on legalized prostitution in the Netherlands. They interviewed prostitutes (including one who was an American woman), customers, and police officers. I recall one of the police officers who said something like "Here, we protect the women, unlike in your country [the U.S.] where you harass them and throw them in jail."

Since the Netherlands has also legalized same-sex marriage, it seems to be a country with some very different notions -- especially compared to the U.S. -- about what's acceptable between consenting adults.

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Steph

Yes,

They have the sense to realize that it's not up to the government to legislate social/religious morality. Ironically, that's supposed to be the "American" way (at least according to the often ignored US Constitution)! These should be moral decisions left up to the individual. What's acceptable to me may be unacceptable to you, but as long as I'm not harming you or your property, it's none of your business! If your interested in a great eye-opening book on the subject, check out Peter McWilliams book, Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do - The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Society.

Steph

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Burt

Shut up Steph. If we want to discuss politics and morality we'll go to the appropriate forum. I suggest you do the same. This is a TRAVEL FORUM Einstein!!!

Jun 13th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Good

Steph-- you have a good point, although there are areas in which personal freedoms and issues of "morality" may overlap with the rights of others. That is where the argument gets sticky. But your general comments are well received. Also stated very generally: The land of the free is not as free as we would like to think (but many of us no longer think). We have a lot to be thankful for, but prosperity does not = freedom. Too often, we legislate for the few, but bind the masses. Or we legislate just so our illustrious leaders can say they are leading. As for the original post, a point of levity: Think first before buying ordering a Pina Collada (sp?) at the Banana Bar.

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Capo

Thanks, Steph. Making consensual activities between adults illegal -- as many societies seem to love to do -- has always intrigued me, so I'll check that book out.

What I find interesting is that a country like the U.S., which likes to pride itself on both individualism and freedom, has less individual freedoms when it comes to what it perceives as "vices" than a country like the Netherlands.

Burt, please don't stop with this thread; your vigilance and services could be used in a number of other threads as well.

For instance, in the "Toilet seats" thread (which has 24 responses), you could say this:

Shut up all of you. If we want to discuss bathroom practices we'll go to the appropriate forum. I suggest you all do the same. This is a TRAVEL FORUM Einsteins!!!

And in the "Any Tinky Winky sitings?" thread (which has 15 responses) you could say this:

Shut up all of you. If we want to discuss sightings of Teletubbies we'll go to the appropriate forum. I suggest you all do the same. This is a TRAVEL FORUM Einsteins!!!