Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help plan H'moon in Cote D'Azur beginning of October

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Paul

Am planning to Honeymoon in the Cote D'Azur the first week of October. we are flying in to Nice and want to see a few places on the coast. want to see Monaco, St. Tropez, Cannes ans maybe some inland towns. We love B and B's, plan to rent a car but don't want to do too many museums or tours. We like to"look" at places and enjoy them for their beauty and ambiance.
Are our ambitions to see these places a little high for only 8 days in the region? Where should target if Nice is our base?

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:19 AM
lili

you're in luck, the riviera does not have too many musems and 8 days is pleanty for that area - you might want a car to go north into the mountains, but for nice, cannes, st. raphael, monoco - any place on the waterfront, the train system is great - the only thing is you don't want to deal with the trains if you're moving heavy luggage around ... also, i have been to marseille, nice, st. raphael, monte carlo and cannes and i would choose cannes just because for some reason, i like it more - the beach is sandy (Nice's is smooth stones), and it's just a beautiful/fashionable place to walk around in the old port area and on the croisette waterfront - Nice is the place ot visit for an awesome Chagal museum, matisse gallery and beaux arts gallery - also, nice's old town is lovely - here's a copy of a post i added earlier of a nice little hotel in cannes, it's not a B&B, but next best thing:
stayed at a great little hotel in cannes - $40 for a double, one block from the beach, 10 minutes walk to the train station, close to old town center, wonderful proprieters (they actually saved the day when my mom lost the passports) - check it out: http://www.azurene-royal-hotel.com/
- although there was no elevator, my parents opted for the 3rd floor with a water view room
there's something about cannes - nice has the museums and galleries (chaggal museum is a must, matisse and art galleries are great), BUT the beach is smooth pebbles, not sand so if I had to chose, i'd stay in cannes and visit nice from there - my parents also wanted to go to nice, but i talked them into cannes and they agreed that there's something about the waterfront, the old town, the little streets

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:28 AM
lili

oh, i forgot to mention Carcasonne - a medieval town in souther France you might get a chance to get to, though it's more to the west side of france, it is beautifull, frozen in time, surrounded by the old wall - there's a hostel inside the walls, but being on your honeymoon you might opt for more private lodging - also, a nearby town to the rivierra is montpellier, there's a university there and it's like a mini-Paris town ... another town to consider is avignon, where cezanne did his latest paintings - there's a funky modern musum there
have fun )

Jun 12th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Lorie

Paul,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in France the first two weeks of October as well. We are flying into Nice and plan to stay in the area for 4-5 days. We have been to Nice/Monaco before and you definitely can see many great sites in 8 days. FYI - don't go to the Matisse museaum in Nice (hated it).

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:29 PM
TO

Flying to Nice next week. I rented a car through http://www.easyrentacar.com/eng/home.asp

they only carry one type of car, the Mercedes A Class. It cost us about 17 pounds per day which is well worth it. We look forward to using the big sunroof on the several day trips that we have planned.