Recs for 8 nights in Portugal October '10

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to start a new thread since I am beginning ot get my act together (old thread was http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment).

So we are planning a trip, using frequent flyer miles (RT Newark/Lisbon), open jaw to Porto wasn't an option for this. Our flight arrives in Lisbon very early Friday morning, 6:15am! My thought is we'd catch a train to Porto and start from there. We'll get some rest on the train (I don't sleep well on planes), so hopefully could hit the ground running in Porto.

My tentative itinerary is:
3 nights Porto (thinking of Guest House Douro) - renting a car
2 nights somewhere between Porto and Lisbon, maybe Coimbra (visit Obidos and ??)
3 nights Lisbon (visit Sintra) - return the car when arrive in Lisbon

Thoughts? Comments? Hotel recs? Towns to visit enroute?

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM

I think your plan is fine. It really isn't a lot of time but you can see some of the highlights.

For the two nights mid way you can see a lot. Tomar, Nazare(for a taste of the coast), Obidos, Alcobaca, Conimbriga (around Coimbra). Some of these places are very close together and can be seen in a day. Everyone has their favorites.

In Lisbon visit Sintra, Belem, maybe Cascais for a little bit of the coast if you don't get there around Nazare.

Have a great time.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I wish I had 2 weeks, but 8 days is the most I can muster up. It started out as 7, but I convinced my husband that we needed to squeeze in at least 1 more.

There's never enough time
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Good thinking about catching a 'nap' on the way to Porto. Treat yourself in Lisbon, as this hotel is just off the main square. We loved staying there. Richard www.hotel-avenida-palace.pt
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM

The only thing I would say is you only have eight nights. I would only spend two nights in Porto and the third night actually driving through the Douro. It is a beautiful area. Although there certainly is plenty to do and see in Porto.

But you may not be a fan of moving too many times which I can agree with. And actualy you may have an oportunity to take a tour of some of the Douro from Porto. Or, save it for another trip as you will surely want to return, believe me.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Sher, could Douro be a day trip from Porto via car? We plan on having a car so I was figuring we could do at least 1 day trip from there.

I am trying to minimize the hotel changes. Other than the distance from Lisbon to Porto, the other distances don't appear to be too bad, and from what I hear, the roads (outside of the big cities) are easy driving. We have driven in Europe before, even in Rome (the worst I've ever seen), so I'm not too concerned about that.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I just did a little Lisbon hotel resaerch, this is what I came up with so far (based on reviews in tripadvisor and venere):
Aviz Hotel
Marques de Pomba
Vincci Baxia
Botanico
Belver Principe real

All seem reasonable (under $200), get good reviews, and are supposedly in good locations (according to reviews).
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Guess my thought would be, as long as you are near the Douro area, take a side trip to Pinhao, take a Douro river cruise, or the little train that runs up and down the valley., see the famous tile works at the train station, and then drive up the mountain to see some of the little villages at the tops of the mountains...the views are incredible, and a peek in to another world and ancient way of life. See the grape vineyard terraces from the top looking down. one of our favs is casaldeloivos.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

If I were to drop a day from Porto, is there somewhere else, along the way that I should spend the night, or should I add it to the Lisbon area?
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM

You could take a day trip because the distance is not too far. I haven't looked into it but I think there may be tours to the area that you can find out about from Porto if you do not want to drive.
As clarasong says you can take a side trip.

I haven't stayed in any of the hotels you mention. Why don't you try to put the names in the search here and see what comes up. I know I read about one Fodor poster who stayed at the Vincci Baxia and really liked it.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM

We've just returned from 6 days in Lisbon and it was a wonderful city to visit.

The metro system is very good - a e3.70 Metro/Carris pass gives 24 hour access to trams, buses, subway, elevators, and funiculars in the city. Single trip tickets run between e.0.80 and e1.60.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Lisbon (next to the Instituto Superior Technico), about a 10 minute walk to the Alameda Metro and the trip to Baixa-Chiado took about 10 minutes by Metro on the green line.

From Alameda station on the red line - direct to Parcque das Nacoes (the Expo 1998 site and the Aquarium) was about 20 minutes.

From Alameda station on the green line - direct to Cais do Sodre to catch tram #15 for Belem.

A taxi trip from Baixa-Chiado back to the hotel cost between e5.75 and e6.50 in the evening. We went to the Bairro Alto each evening for dinner.

A taxi from the airport to the hotel took 15 minutes and cost under e8.00.

It is a very walkable city. From the hotel to the Museu Calouste Gulbenkian, an AMAZING place, it was a 15 minute walk - out the front door, turn right, walk straight until at a T, go right and there is the museum entrance.

The most central area would be near the Rossio Metro station.

In summary, choosing a hotel near a Metro will provide easy access to all parts of the city. We were there partly for business so the hotel was chosen for us but it turned out to be incredibly convenient.