Recouping VAT Tax in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really short question. My flight home leaves from Milan at 7:30 am and boards about 7 am. I think this means I have no hope of getting the stamp necessary to recoup VAT tax because the customs office does not open until 7 am. I also assume one cannot access the location to get the stamp before one is ready to depart. Am I, sadly, correct? I have not traveled yet, just scoping things out before I depart this weekend. Presumably without the stamp a mailed in form is useless. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 09:01 PM

Depending on which terminal you are flying out of, the VAT desks open as early as 6am.

https://www.milanomalpensa-airport.c...ine/vat-refund

We once had an early morning flight out of Nice and there was a self-service machine that processed the VAT forms. I didn’t read through the above link very far but maybe there is something similar in Milan.

Good luck!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tracilee. I'll check out the early opening (you link gave more info that what I found on my own).
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by LizTD
Really short question. My flight home leaves from Milan at 7:30 am and boards about 7 am. I think this means I have no hope of getting the stamp necessary to recoup VAT tax because the customs office does not open until 7 am. I also assume one cannot access the location to get the stamp before one is ready to depart. Am I, sadly, correct? I have not traveled yet, just scoping things out before I depart this weekend. Presumably without the stamp a mailed in form is useless. Thanks in advance.
You are correct in assuming you cannot access the customs office for the stamp until you are actually leaving, and also correct that unless you have that stamp you will not get the refund.
However, I think there is a good chance the customs office will be open before 7. Not Milan, but I had a very early flight from Florence in April and the Customs office was open well before my flight, I think it was 5:30 or so. I did have to round up the Customs officer from his coffee chat but it all worked out. Good luck.
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 07:33 AM

I was able to get the VAT processed at the Rome airport last spring at around 6am. There was one person staffing the window and then you finished up with a self service kiosk.
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 01:31 PM

In Rome there is a VAt refund office near the Piazza di Spagna. I's great. I hate dealing with this at the airports especially with havingn to sometimes open the luggage, etc.

There is one in Milan, at the train station, and there may well be another elsewhere in the city.
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 04:19 AM

Very handy! I had no idea you could do this before your airport departure
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by studenttobe
Very handy! I had no idea you could do this before your airport departure
You can organize most of the paperwork beforehand at one of the VAT return companies (like Global Blue) if they have a city location but you still need the customs stamp which you get at the airport on your departure. Some train stations may also have a customs office if you are actually leaving Italy but my understanding of it is you get the stamp at your point of departure from the EU, and they will give you this at the airport even if you are transiting through another country's airport on your way home. If however, you leave Italy and fly to Paris for example and spend a few days, then you would get the stamp upon your departure from France.
If you don't have the customs stamp you will not get the refund. Speaking from experience on this.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 05:31 AM

I do not believe this is true in Rome. I recall filling out the papers and getting the cash refund at the Piazza di Spagna location, without having to do anything related at FCO on departure from Rome.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 07:05 AM

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.e...op%20assistant.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 07:18 AM

I posted a VAT refund explainer above. I have claimed the VAT multiple times, in Rome, in Florence and in Naples, always had to get the Customs stamp.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 12:02 PM

Well I am likely losing my memory. I am not doubting you..I know you are a knowledgeable contributor here.

I just have no memory of having to do that, which does not mean that I did not get the customs stamp. On that trip, about 5 years ago, I happened to buy 2 pretty expensive handbags..one of which I use a lot (black Loewe Flamenco bag) and the other (Celine, in a pale taupe color, which is gorgeous but way too bulky and heavy and for me was a big waste..I think it is called something like Belt Bag and according to the salesperson, was from the last line that Phoebe Philo designed...I really ought to try to sell it as it has almost no wear on it)!

If you buy this type. of stuff, do you find that pricing is pretty consistent for example, for Loewe, whether bought in Spain or in Italy??? Used to be that one would try to purchase in the country of origin for the best price, but I am not sure that holds any longer....

I still have an UNUSED BOTTEGA VENETA black bag that is stilli the felt bag it came in...bought it more than 10 years ago, maybe even more than 15 years ago, when I used to go in January for the sales. NEVER used! I feel pretty ridiculous even writing that! Ii WILL take it out of the bag and out of the closet and use it! What am I waiting for????

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Oct 10th, 2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 01:44 PM

If you aren't using your Celine Belt Bag anymore you should definitely sell it. See if there is a luxury resale group local to you on Facebook as then you will get 100% of the money, if you use the Real Real or a resale store in your area you will have to share the money with them. It's especially good if you still have the bag, box, receipt or certificate of authentication.
Omg, you have an unused Bottega Veneta bag?? Get that little baby out of it's dust bag and start using it. Cause exactly, what are you waiting for? lol.

To answer your question yes I do buy this stuff and yes, I do find that it is cheaper in the country of origin, especially if you get the VAT refund which I always do...except for my trip to Florence in April where I bought a lot of clothes and had them shipped home via DHL because my suitcase was full and the store staff thought I could still get my VAT refund.....wrong. I filled in the paperwork, the store filled in their bit but that customs stamp is needed from the airport. Oh well lesson learned. In the past I have bought an extra suitcase, I just didn't feel like it this time but will remember for next time.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 04:42 AM

Ha! Just don't buy that extra suitcase at a chain named Carpisa in Rome, unless you want to lug the bag stuffed with your new stuff but with a broken handle through the airports!!! Piece of junk!

Yes, II have all the felt bags, sales slips, etc....will investigate, although I am not on FB... I live in Manhattan so have those resale shops not far from me, but yeah, why should I give them the cut!?
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate all the input as well as the funny stories! Fingers crossed on my vat tax refund journey (once my husband starts shopping)!
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by LizTD
Appreciate all the input as well as the funny stories! Fingers crossed on my vat tax refund journey (once my husband starts shopping)!
Well I hope you have a wonderful trip! And a husband who likes shopping? Bliss! Mine hates it unless it's a bike shop.
I am going back to Italy in November...counting down the days. And yes, shopping will be done. lol.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Ha! Just don't buy that extra suitcase at a chain named Carpisa in Rome, unless you want to lug the bag stuffed with your new stuff but with a broken handle through the airports!!! Piece of junk!

Yes, II have all the felt bags, sales slips, etc....will investigate, although I am not on FB... I live in Manhattan so have those resale shops not far from me, but yeah, why should I give them the cut!?
Thanks I will definitely avoid that suitcase store! Would likely get a Rimowa if I end up needing one, I am buying one of their Classic Cabin bags this weekend to replace my old 2 wheeled carry on, the 2 wheeled thing is just not fun these days and that Rimowa rolls like a dream.
Good luck with selling your bag, there must be some kind of online site for individual selling. And I hope you are breaking out that poor Bottega Veneta soon.
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Will break out the BV bag..as you said..what am I waiting for and that goes for so MANY clothes, many of which are now too tight. I was a huge Max Mara fan and have so much from them....and many others of that ilk....

Ok..the Rimowa. I looked at them in Rome and it seems as if there are at least two lines..one normal-ish price and one pretty high. But can you squeeze things into those hard-sided bags? I cannot wait to hear your review of the Rimowa....they sure are great-looking although I've read that they are targeted by baggage thieves....but hey...how common would that be??? PLEASE report on this...I started a thread about Rimowa not too long ago..will try to bring it up here..... Have fun!

Did you read about the peso vs US in Argentina??
Old Oct 11th, 2023, 03:19 PM

Oh I love MaxMara.
I will let you know about the Rimowa, for now I am only getting the carry on bag and I will use packing cubes, I don't travel carry on only and so don't have to put an awful lot in. I am getting the original aluminum one. And yes that is a consideration for a checked bag, there's no expansion with a Rimowa so you have to be very careful with packing. I have a Briggs and Riley that is years and years old and still in great shape, but again, it only has 2 wheels so have just bought a new Briggs and Riley medium checked bag with spinner wheels.
I don't know about the US vs the peso in Argentina? What is that about?
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Having returned from Italy I am answering my own question. If your sole destinations are within Italy, no Customs stamp is required. You just proceed to Global Blue, and if you have an early flight when the staff is not yet there (as did I) there are several self serve kiosks at MXP that are super easy to use. You just put your passport on the scanner and voila - your purchases appear. One tip, however, is to make certain the merchant has electronic invoicing because I was unable to get the refund on one of my purchases (from Geox). I would have made a point to confirm this had I known. On the other hand, if Italy is not your only destination (but your final one) you do need the Customs stamp. And that stamp cannot be obtained more than 4 hours before the flight, which I learned when I stopped at the airport the day before my flight. That said, a customs officer was there at 5 am but thankfully I saw the sign indicating I did not need a Customs stamp because the couple in front of me had hugely long receipts. They must have shopped their way across the EU! Thanks to all for the input.