Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reco's for place to stay in or near Carcassone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making an overnight stay in the Carcassone area for our drive from Dordogne to Provence. I would like to know if anyone has stayed in the close proximity of Carcasonne, for approximately 100euro or less per night?

Also, if anyone has made the drive from Sarlat to Carcassone or Provence (St Remy area) to Carcassone, I would appreciate real life travel time and experiences, vs. mappy and viamichelin time to make these journeys. And, of course any other suggestions. (StCirq, I have your reco's for the scenic travel route from Dordogne to South (Carcassone) copied, and plan on using them. I feel like I owe you a fee for all of your great suggestions I have taken in planning this trip.) Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:00 PM

Hi, mda:

I drive from Sarlat to Provence all the time, and will be doing so again on April 5. I hate that drive with a passion, but that's because I almost always do it alone, and usually take the highway and have done it so often there is nothing of interest to me along the way, except for maybe a new kind of sandwich at the rest stops.

I take it you're taking the highway? If so, you go from Sarlat to Gourdon on the back roads, and then hit the A20 around Souillac, which takes you through Cahors and down to Toulouse and then swings east to Provence.

Try the Hôtel du Donjon on Google and see how much it costs these days. If that's over your budget, check out the Hôtel Terminus, which is in the lower town. Also, a bit of a hidden treasure here - 11 km to the west in Pezens is the Auberge du Moulin d'Alzau, a really, really charming inn in an old mill (definitely need to reserve in advance).
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:45 PM

If you're willing to just a little further afield to the north, near the town of Mazamet is the Château de Montlédier, a country château set in beautiful grounds--gardeners will love the place. Rooms are large, and the operation feels more like a private house than a hotel.

There's quite a good restaurant in the vaulted cellar; in good weather breakfast is served in the large courtyard.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:30 AM

I just read an article this morning on a charming place in Carcassonne - La Maison Vieille. The rooms look spacious and the beds are large.
The rooms are 77 euro including breakfast(for two persons) - very reasonable for the area.

www.la-maison-vieille.com

I agree totally with StCirq... I also do that drive, usually alone on the highway because it's the fastest...
and it's boring. It takes me about to 5.5 hours from my house just south of St Remy to the Sarlat area (now that we have to really obey the speed limits).
Patricia
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:27 AM

We just returned from the south of France and used B&Bs. The B&B we stayed at in Carcassone is called La Maison sur Colline and is about 1 km (through vineyards) from the medieval city. We had the chambre Tonnelle and it was 80 euro/night. It was a comfortable room and the breakfast was quite a spread. The website is: www.lamaisonsurlacolline.com. My husband and I liked it as it was close to the Cite and about 3-5 minutes from the main lower town -handy for restaurants.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM

PBP... www.la-maison-vieille.com didn't work. I googled La Maison Vieille & got one in Dordogne. No mention of Carcasonne as a spot to go from there.